Why does my tolerance to Concerta build up so fast.

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Treating Your ADHD Why does my tolerance to Concerta build up so fast.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Bluntage
      Participant

Hey There,

Sorry if people have asked this before. I am being treated for ADHD for the first time in my life over the last month and I am 41. I can only make it through about 2 days before the medicine stops working and it’s really getting me down. I am at 54 mg and max is 81 mg where I live. Is there a medication people have better luck with? I am dreading having to tell my doctor this.

Thanks

Ryan

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

The results of ADHD medications are very individualized — it depends on genetics, metabolism and neurotransmitter levels and functioning. There are two types of stimulants: amphetamine (Adderall, Vyvanse, Evekeo…) and methylphenidate (Ritalin, Concerta, Quillivant…). Almost everyone does well on one type or the other, but not both. Methylphenidate may not be the best medication for you, or Concerta may not be the best methylphenidate for you. It takes trial and error to find the right medication and dose.

A Patient’s Primer on the Stimulant Medications Used to Treat ADHD

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Coach, Podcaster & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Swede
      Participant

Hello Ryan, I’ve just spent 3 weeks in a clinic and been diagnosed with ADHD by a set of super professionals. They have put me on concerta 54mg but also prescribed 18mg pills and they were perfectly fine with me “filling” up after lunch if required. As I’m very new on concerta I’m certainly not an expert yet but at least the professionals seemed to have zero issue to accept if I required a “top up”. Perhaps discuss this with your doctor. I’m in France, different opinions might exist where you are. Happy to chat further if you want. Best/H

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.