Why aren't there more forum categories here?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums FAQ Why aren't there more forum categories here?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  StillPlaysMC 9 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

StillPlaysMC
    Participant

I have brought this up before, but all of the ADHD help out there is for ADHD adults, ADHD parents, and parents of children with ADHD. Support groups, forums, you name it. I can not find anything for people my age (I’m thirteen). I believe that there should be more categories in order to help everyone receive better answers. Why is there a ‘women and girls’ category and no ‘men and boys’ category? How come there’s a category titled ‘for adults,’ yet there’s no ‘for students and young people’ category? One might counter that we don’t need a category specifically for young people and students because we have ‘for school and learning,’ but that doesn’t count, because it’s completely dominated by parents. Why aren’t these categories on the website? How come only adults and parents are targeted? The children on this website have ADHD, too, right? Don’t we all have the same problems?

amycheif8
    Participant

I’m sorry I’m not a kid but I wanted to tell you that I think it’s great that you want to “talk” to other ADHDers your age. I have ADHD and I work with kids your age (mostly boys) up to young adult, as well as families. I’ve noticed that there aren’t any kid forums on the most popular ADHD sites. I’m developing a website and a forum for kids with ADHD was on my list of things I want to offer. What would you like to have on such a forum? (I hope you don’t mind that I’m asking). If you feel like responding I’d appreciate the input. Thanks!

StillPlaysMC
      Participant

Of course! One thing I think most of us would be grateful for is if the site took us seriously. There have been so many times where I have stumbled across a site built for teens (or children, although I hate that word) that just seemed like it was trying way too hard to be kid friendly. Colors, parenthesis with definitions to really common words, exclamation marks, you name it. This is just my opinion, but it sort of makes me feel like I’m not being taken seriously because of my age. Of course you shouldn’t cuss every other word (which, unfortunately, a majority of kids my age do in very broken english), but don’t overdo the ‘kid friendly’ thing.

PocoPer
    Participant

I think your idea is a great one. Have you reached out directly to the editors of Attitude to request it or has the posts just been on here? I wonder if there’s not a lot for the younger crowd because of legal issues. As an over-18er I take the interactions here into my own hands and if something were to occur, I couldn’t hold the site legally responsible. With younger people, the liability might be there. Just shooting in the dark. You have me thinking! 🙂

It’s fabulous to see a young person such as yourself wants to connect and grow a community. I would definitely reach out via phone or email to anyone you can find listed on this site and see if that can get you some answers.

ADHDmomma
    Keymaster

We have created this forum for you here: https://www.additudemag.com/forums/forum/for-teens-and-young-adults-with-adhd/. Please jump over and start a conversation. 🙂

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Author & Mentor on Parenting ADHD, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.