Where to start

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Penny Williams 1 year, 4 months ago.

• Author

fairytastic11
    Participant

Hi there, I’m new here but looking for like minded people. Our son, 12 is on a waiting list to be assessed for ADHD but we are at that point where we no longer know what to do. I guess I have always wondered about certain things he does and looking back now this possible diagnosis explains alot of things but while this remains a ‘what if’ we’re left trying to deal with it. It’s so hard when it causes problems at home to the point that both my husband and I have said things like ‘if something doesn’t give this family will fall apart’. School are doing their bit but I don’t always agree with their way so the fustrations are increasing and now I feel it’s affecting me, anxiety etc

I have tried to educate myself and to impart some of that in my husband’s direction as I think he struggles more than me, we don’t get any help from family which is also hard so we muddle along feeling exhausted mostly and finding little time for each other.

It’s holiday time here which is a relief as school isn’t an issue but finding things that we can do isn’t as easy as it used to be. Our son would be content to sit Infront of his x box all day if allowed.

I got up this morning looking again for answers so any words of wisdom feel free to share. I’m hoping to get out later for a walk in the fresh air as I read that exercise helps as it does with alot of issues.

Have a good day

Penny Williams
    Keymaster

Here’s a good overview of what your next steps will be.

The ADHD Road Map for Parents

You can go ahead and start implementing a positive parenting approach, which will help diagnosed or not, but is crucial for kids with ADHD:

Become the Parent Your Child Needs

It’s a long process and you’re just getting started. Address one thing at a time and you’ll see improvement.

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Author & Trainer on Parenting ADHD, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Penny Williams
    Keymaster

Here’s a good overview of what your next steps will be.

The ADHD Road Map for Parents

You can go ahead and start implementing a positive parenting approach, which will help diagnosed or not, but is crucial for kids with ADHD:

Become the Parent Your Child Needs

It’s a long process and you’re just getting started. Address one thing at a time and you’ll see improvement.

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Author & Trainer on Parenting ADHD, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.