Where to start?

Tagged: 

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      mnm22
      Participant

It had been suggested to me a couple years back that I have ADHD but I denied it based on my history in high school – It seemed like most of the time ADHD impacted people in school but I’ve always done well in school which I’m now realizing is mostly because it gave me structure and I was usually interested in the topics at hand(but when I wasn’t interested there was NO hope of me doing well). However, from the start of college until the present I don’t have that structure and I can’t make my own. I’ve tried. I usually get something figured out but never implement it (i.e spending hours setting up a planner that I never use). I’ve learned that this may be consistent with ADHD and may have masked my symptoms during the years where ADHD is commonly diagnosed. Without getting into a crazy amount of detail, the lack of control over my day to day living is getting extremely stressful and I’m starting to think that person was correct.

My sister has ADHD and her daughter/my niece has ADHD and is on the autism spectrum, my brother passed away from an opiate overdose after a very long struggle with addiction, my other brother has depression and an eating disorder, my mom has anxiety and depression and relies on Xanax and antidepressants to get through the day. Relatives on my mom’s side also have Schizophrenia and alcoholism runs pretty wild on that side. I thought that I was depressed since my teens but I guess it’s possible that I have ADHD? Or maybe both? or maybe nothing at all? I’ve never been diagnosed with either (had an eval once that suggested ADHD but I denied it and wasn’t formally diagnosed). I’m pretty intimidated to get any help because 1- saying this shit out loud makes it real and I’ve handled things by not dealing with them sooo.. that’s scary. 2- I am extremely hesitate to take medications based on the issues in my family listed above. I also don’t want to look like I’m seeking meds or looking for attention which seems unfortunately common.

Anyways, I don’t know where to start. Should I see my primary? Go to a counselor? A psychiatrist? I don’t know. And how do I bring it up? Like I don’t even know what to say and don’t want to come off the wrong way.

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

You can start with any of those people. Here’s more guidance on getting the diagnosis:

Who Can Diagnose ADHD?

I’d start by saying that you know something is different, you’ve suspected depression for a while, but are also wondering about ADHD, so want to be evaluated to see what is going on so you can treat it.

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.