When to rest and when to keep going?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Getting Things Done When to rest and when to keep going?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      evelynfarrah
      Participant

First time posting, currently awaiting formal diagnosis.

My biggest challenge (at the moment) is trying to work out when I should keep persisting with a task, or when I should give up/take a break.

I do all the ‘just start and once you start it will get easier’, ‘break it down and do the easiest step first’ things, but after forcing myself to sit there and do the task, I still can’t get my brain to switch on.

I get up, run on the spot, have some coffee, put on music, set a timer and try again… same thing happens.

So what do you do when you have tried all the strategies, but still can’t get the task done?

It’s not that I’m getting distracted or bored, I my brain is just so exhausted that no matter how hard I try, I can’t get going. Sometimes I will then try and make myself angry/anxious to get going, only to then burst into tears, and then I REALLY can’t focus.

All the advice I read about ADHD tends to be about starting tasks – what are the tips for finishing them???

Thanks
      Ev

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

There may be some strategies you haven’t tried in this article — it focuses on finishing things, not just getting started:

How to Get Stuff Done Without Getting Bogged Down

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Coach, Podcaster & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Gazettechan
        Participant

Resting is very important to feel better, enough sleep and eat happy food all the time.

Gazettechan
        Participant

I love this article, very interesting!

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.