when does TOO energetic become a thing? Whats your personality type?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Teens and Young Adults with ADHD when does TOO energetic become a thing? Whats your personality type?

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Jolly
      Participant

Hey guys, I’m just asking myself and you guys this question because i’m a super outgoing, over the top energetic, enthusiastic, funny, and I’m probably a really annoying person to my friends and family. I’ve done some research about different personality types and I have an ENFP personality type and honestly it aligns with looking and feeling like ADHD a lot to me. If you look up ENFP and adhd its really hard to depict. I need some advice.. When does my personality become ADHD?

heide.lynn.field
      Participant

Interesting, again yesterday I had a co-worker tell me “I get exhausted listening to you life”….which immediately put me on the defense. I am no expert on this at all but wanted to send you some support…from one “tigger” to another xoxo

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

ADHD is a physiological difference in your brain, not a personality type. However, the way your brain works can certainly influence your personality. 😉

Everything You Need to Know About ADHD

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

JBoom
      Participant

I think intuitive types (the “N” in your type) are probably more likely to also have ADHD. There isn’t enough data or research to declare any cause-and-effect relationship, but if there was I suspect that ADHD is more likely to influence personality than the other way around. I think that because personality type is about preferences while ADHD is about a physical difference in the neurological systems.

Jolly
      Participant

Ok, so your saying ADHD is more likely to influence my personality, what do you mean? I’ve been so hyper ever since first grade.. but i don’t think I had trouble with ADHD symptoms until this year in highschool… Which sucks! I’m honestly super confused. I have so many ADHD symptoms but sometime there severe and sometimes there not.

JBoom
      Participant

Well, I’m not a doctor and can’t speak to your particular case with any competence. What I do know, is that ADHD seems to be something that one is born with, or at least has suffered from for most of their life (that’s part of the criteria for diagnosis — a sudden onset of similar symptoms is considered to be likely something other than ADHD).

Personality type is really just about observing the preferences people have for cognitive thought. Preferences meaning there was choice (even if unconscious) rather than some physical limitation that pre-determined it.

In short, ADHD seems to be pre-determined by physiology while personality type is determined by choice (early on in life). The physiology of ADHD might lead to different choices, thus might have an influence on personality type.

I’m just speculating, of course. But that’s my somewhat educated opinion. 🙂

Jolly
      Participant

Ok so do you think it’s my personality or ADHD?

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.