What’s next? Med failure

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Treating Your Child What’s next? Med failure

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Getittogethergirl
      Participant

My eight year old needs medication. He is struggling at home and school and it just breaks my heart. It is really taking a toll on his self-esteem. I have had great success with my own adhd medication and am desperate to find some relief for him too, but it has been a long, discouraging road.

He has tried adderall xr, which worked great until it wore off and there was an awful rebound.
      He’s tried methylphenidate, which did nothing good or bad.
      He’s tried guanfacine, which made him feel weak and light-headed.
      He’s tried vyvanse, which made him agitated and weepy.
      He’s tried focalin, which made him irritable and emotional.

I’d almost rather go back to adderall cuz at least it had some positive effect, but we really can’t with how bad the rebound was.

Anybody have tips? We have an appointment in ten days and I feel so discouraged that we’ll never get this right. It has been two years!!

brandi.koehm
      Participant

We actually used aderall XR for my 12 year old, but combined it with Guanficine (1 mg) in am and 1 mg at bedtime to balance it out at the suggestion of our psychiatrist, which I think worked well together.When we tried guanficine by itself it put him to sleep. and then a low dose of fluoxetine first the emotional flooding. Our issue was that with most of the stimulants caused him not to eat, so ended up taking him off everything in March due to lack of growth and increased anxiety from the stimulants. It’s back to the drawing board now. Not looking forward to it.

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

It’s probably time to look at a combination of meds so he can take a stimulant and get the benefit of it. As brandi said above, guanfacine or Intuniv is often combined with stimulants to help with rebound and moodiness.

Many kids take a low dose afternoon booster as well, so that the medication diminishes more slowly.

There are two types of stimulants: amphetamine (Adderall, Vyvanse, Evekeo…) and methylphenidate (Ritalin, Concerta, Quillivant…). Almost everyone does well on one type or the other, but not both. It sounds like a methylphenidate might be better for him since he had no negative side effects, IF you can get a med and dose that work for your son.

A Patient’s Primer on the Stimulant Medications Used to Treat ADHD

Sometimes using a liquid is helpful because you can tailor it to any dose, where the pills only come in certain increments with big gaps.

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Coach, Podcaster & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

cjnevarc
      Participant

Hello! My son is now 12 and has been on medication since 6. He had been on many medications and had various side effects that were deal breakers. Daytrana patch has been the only medication that has worked without moody or rebound side effects. I would highly recommend you give it a try since since you are sort of in the same boat we were in. There was a few years in the past that there were shortage problems when there were some sort of production issue with the adhesive. At that time many physicians switched patients off and onto oral meds. Those issues were resolved a few years ago and we haven’t had any trouble getting it for quite some time. It is an expensive med and the insurance company may require prior the doctor to send a response as to why your son cant take a less expensive alternative. They held up my sons prescription when I recently changed insurance but it was cleared up after a response from the doctor. It has been a huge success for my son. He also has a couple of friends who have used Daytrana for years with no problems. Good luck to you!

Oldgruffy
      Participant

Hi

You could try adding in the short acting form of Adderall, like Dexedrine 2.5 to 5 mgs at 3-4pm to help him get over the rebound.

Or you could add in Guanfacine 1mg at 3-4 pm

CBD oil is also an option for some children.

Gazettechan
      Participant

Get well soon!

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.