What would you do with all these half read self help organising books?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Getting Things Done What would you do with all these half read self help organising books?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Honey18
      Blocked

I have finally made a start on decluttering my home.
      I have a pile of about 12 ‘self-help’ books about how to become organised that I’ve bought over the years. Most of them I’ve started
      reading but never finished. Some of them have had good suggestions but I could never remember them to implement them!

What should I do with them? It seems a waste to
      just get rid of them but even looking at the pile makes me feel a bit overwhelmed. I think what if one of them has the answer to all my disoragnisation issues and I never find out because I’ve thrown it out!

Any suggestions please?

ADHDinPGH
      Participant

Get rid of them! Decluttering is the ultimate self-help act for an ADHD brain. Do you see the the irony of keeping a pile of self-help books that you aren’t even using to help yourself? If they have useful bits, take a photo of those pages and print them out into a collage or sell your books to a consignment book store and get the kindle versions.

I too had a pile of half-read and underutilized self help books once. When I did a massive stuff-purge, they went with it and I never looked back. It felt way better to just have fewer things than it did to pretend I was going to read all those books.

Spaceboy 99
        Participant

Hello, Ms. Kondo, fancy seeing you here 😛

Spaceboy 99
        Participant

Despite my rather flippant reply, I agree wholeheartedly with ADHDinPGH. You can sell them, you can donate them to goodwill, you can give them away to friends and relatives, you can do ANY NUMBER of things with them, but the most important thing is to get them gone.

Taking pictures of the most useful pages/chapters is an excellent idea I would have never considered.

Remember the whole FOMO element. If you’re ever worried about the ‘what if’ of the ‘perfect solution’ just one more page over, then to be honest, you’re chasing after unicorns. If the books were going to be THAT useful to you, you’d have seen hints of it closer to the beginning, and likely wouldn’t have stopped reading them.

There’s a philosophy I ascribe to, and I’ve detailed it in some other posts, that I call “The Dynamite Principle”. It is based on the wisdom of Mary Cooper from “The Big Bang Theory”. There’s an episode where she states: “There’s only so long you can fish before you gotta throw a stick of dynamite in the water. I’m done fishin'”.

I interpret this as there only being a limited amount of time you can allow yourself to be paralysed by trying to optimise the situation and get precisely what you want in precisely the way you want it, using the most effective method, and instead just pick the most efficient method. If, after a month of deliberating what to do with the pile of books, you’re still no closer to deciding what to do, I would arbitrarily decide to get rid of them, and drive them down to the charity shop. If the charity shop was closed, they’d either go on the street outside, or into the nearest bin, waste or no waste. Any solution that works is a good solution, even if it doesn’t work as well as another one might.

Don’t get me wrong, I used to be the same way as you, but it’s just not conducive to your long-term wellbeing.

Hope this helps 🙂

MMJones
      Participant

Get rid of them. There is nothing in those books that you can’t find on the Internet. If you decide later that you want to seriously read one of the books you discarded, buy it again or get it from the library.

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.