what to do about an inappropriate 8yr old

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Behavior & Discipline what to do about an inappropriate 8yr old

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      canton69lover
      Participant

My situation isn’t your typical situation. My boyfriends 8 yr old brother who has been diagnosed with adhd and ODD has been living with us for 7 months. He had a very very difficult time staying in a school. He went to a total of 4 schools last year and finally was making some friends at his last school. He’s in a special Ed class for kids w similar diagnoses. along with add and ODD he also has 8 going on 30 syndrome. His knowledge on drugs and sexual things is alarming to me. The problem I’m having is he’s made friends with 2 diff peers and 1 he no longer sees due to him telling the other child he would show him pictures of naked girls next time he came over to play and now the other is on the brink due to him leaving the child a voicemail on the parents cell phone bein inappropriate. He was very rude and disrespectful but besides that decided to ask the mother “what size are your titties?” At the end of the message!! I’ve caught him looking up “titties and but pictures” on YouTube so his iPad has the restrictions enables but what is the appropriate way to deal with a situation like this? I’m new to experiencing a child with adhd or ODD so need any input/advice/or any help anyone can give me.

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

Wow! That’s a tough situation. It’s much harder to address inappropriate behavior with ODD. It may be time to work with a therapist on this issue. These articles offer some good strategies on ODD:

More Than Just Naughty: Dealing with Oppositional Defiant Disorder

How to Treat Oppositional Defiant Disorder

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Author & Mentor on Parenting ADHD, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Gage
      Participant

Every parents goes through that

jhasselt
        Participant

I disagree, I think this is beyond typical 8 yo ADHD and ODD behavior. My son is 8 with ADHD and ODD, and if he were to do this, I would definitely go to counseling. It sounds like there is more going on. Good Luck original poster!

canton69lover
        Participant

I fully agree that he should go to counseling and have been pushing for it for months but the mother didn’t renew his insurance in time so we’re currently having to pay around $250 off pocket for his medication. If u don’t mind me asking what are some of the behaviors you have experienced or that i didn’t be alarmed by?

jhasselt
        Participant

My son’s ODD typically displays when asked to do something he doesn’t want to do. i.e. when I take away the tablet he will fight back, he will refuse to stay in a timeout, he tries to refuse going to school. He does NOT make inappropriate sexual references or discuss drugs. If I found out my son was looking at those things online, I would take away his iPad and take away the phone. I would make him write or tell the parents of his friend an apology, and I think I’d try to get him counseling. Maybe you could get him counseling through a non-profit?

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.