What kind of notebook/system do you use for reminders, lists etc?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Getting Things Done What kind of notebook/system do you use for reminders, lists etc?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Buddha192 1 month, 1 week ago.

• Author

Honey18
    Participant

I have bought so many different notebooks over the years in an attempt to get organised. I like to make lists and get everything out of my head and on to paper. The problem lies in actually doing anything off the list! I tend to forget to look at it and will then find it some days/weeks later!

My latest idea was to buy a filofax notebook which you can divide into sections. I filled each section with paper and labelled them for various aspects of my life. I felt so organised! A few weeks on and I’ve hardly looked at the sections! I actually find writing reminders on post it notes the best way and then throwing them once done. But I still tell myself as busy working mum, I ought to be organised and have a notebook!

What does anyone else do or use to try and be organised and remember things?

Penny Williams
    Keymaster

Do what works for you. If that’s post-its, then use post-its. That is organized — just in a different way than other people might do it, but that’s totally ok.

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

steftomes
    Participant

I use post its or small paper lists for urgent, day of tasks. I feel accomplished when i complete it. It may or may not correspond to an e-list of tasks that i keep in my calendar. I use that for non-urgent tasks. I also text or email myself tasks/messages that are important, because that is a place i check every day. I use these to plan out each day first thing. As a mom, i also write out all meals for the week on paper & hang it in the kitchen.

Dr. Eric
    Participant

I mainly rely on my phone and laptop, but I also have a Wacom Bamboo notepad.

It is one of those systems that turns your notebook writing (special pen and portfolio, regular pad) into a digital file.

You can even turn handwriting to text if your penmanship is good enough… mine isn’t.

Dr. Eric
    Participant

Depending on the job, I also kept a little reporters notebook in my pocket.

BlackADDer
    Participant

Some member of my family phones to remind me. At best I tell people that they need to remind me or get back to me before it becomes a crisis.

That is about it. There is no method for me to organise or arrange my time at home or at work. Pen and paper just mean that I lose it in the rest of the piles of paper I have around the place. Electronic devices or online apps mean I can do that even more effectively as there is no physical artefact to lose, misfile or just plain ignore. I think I could have a person following me around TELLING me what to do and it would still come unstuck.

Simply put; if it is not up and in my face, it will not get attended to.

I am nearly 60 years old and totally incapable of doing something like creating a list and sticking to it. Hell, I am usually incapable of remembering that I even HAVE a list. I am that rocky reef where the expectations of parents, teachers and managers has hit and then sunk without a trace.

I know this may not be a useful answer to some people. However, to some others it may be a relief to know that they are NOT the only person in the world who has had to give up on being ‘organised’.

Ghost92
    Participant

For remembering medical appointments I put reminders in my phone and set it so it will remind a day before then an hour before the appointment.
    For remembering work meetings i put them in my schedule on outlook, it’s set to remind me 15 minutes before and then 5 minutes before. I have a office job. Part of my job is taking minutes from full SILC meetings, making sure those meeting meet quorum, tracking votes during meeting, etc. What i use is a have a binder that contains everything that i may need for a full SILC meeting. The binder contains the membership list, appointment tracker, attendance lists for meeting, etc. I also have a section for assistant documents that i have created to assistant me with the meeting. On of them is a quorum checklist that has a space for the date, all voting members with boxes next to their names, and how many members need to be present for quorum. I just need to check off their names and see if the amount of checked off names match it the number i need to make quorum. In the past I’ve been asked if we had quorum or how many members we have, and i didn’t know the answer now i know the answer. I have a note sheet I’ve created that is pretty much the agenda except there are spaces between the items where i write notes on each agenda item. I also include time in and time out on the note sheet. The last thing i use is to have a checklist with all the items i need to bring with me. Before i used to forget to bring some things now i don’t as often because of the checklist and the binder. The nice about the binder is that it also meets the requirement to have a hard copy of meeting doctuments for future audits.

Buddha192
    Participant

I feel your pain Honey18. I also have a large collection of notebooks, most of them only partially filled up with unintelligible scribbles. Most recently, I tried a Bullet Journal because I liked the concept, but it just doesn’t work for me. I gave it a good try for a while but I couldn’t get it to work with my job and lifestyle.

I think the first thing you need to do is map out your life. In other words — what type of things do you need to track. If it’s meetings or other pre-planned events that have a definite start time a phone calendar works well. I just set multiple alarms for each event. If it’s to-do’s and tasks, well –sorry. I got nothing. The only thing I can suggest is that, when it comes to cleaning, it’s all about patience. If you just ignore it long enough it never gets worse. 😉 Kidding or course, but it’s a challenge that I also haven’t found a good solution for yet.

Tasks, particularly self imposed tasks are a tougher thing to figure out because it isn’t just as easy as knowing what to do. You have to want to do it too. If you’re anything like me, you’ve got a tornado in your head, and every task you need to do feels like time stolen from something else that feels equally or even more important. As a result, I never get satisfaction from completing something because I felt like I didn’t do the other thing.

I also find that my ability to DO the task isn’t the problem. Starting it is. I have found some success in breaking down tasks into very small components. Need to paint a room? Don’t define the task as painting the room. Make the task choosing the color. Then make the next task buying the paint, etc. If you can break it down into very minor but easily doable tasks (I call it clearing the runway), you can sometimes get the motivation to continue on. Again, for the reminder of tasks I use my phone and an app called Todoist which I pay a subscription for. That being said, I still have home tasks to do that I’ve been ignoring for months. I’d like to say it doesn’t bother me but I just can’t get the damned motivation to do it, especially when Netflix keeps adding new shows. I blame them.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.