What Happens After Admitting ADHD Drug Abuse?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults What Happens After Admitting ADHD Drug Abuse?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Decimus
      Participant

Hi,
      I am in my mid-20s and was diagnosed about 3 years ago. I have the unfortunate tendency of taking the double or even sometimes tripling my prescribed dose of Adderall XR. My prescribed dose is 60 mg but I tend to increase my dose in an attempt to inspire higher productivity– which actually only works about half the time because on some days it induces more side effects (insomnia, fatigue, depression etc.) than the sense of increased drive and focus. I am considering admitting my bad behavior to my doctor but I want to know all the potential consequences before I make my admission. I am also interested in learning more about coping techniques that can help me overcome the dreadful habit. Thanks in advance!

rufussayscalmdown
      Participant

Depends on what your doctor’s attitude is. I had a doctor who gave me the chance to prove my relapse with coke at the beginning of treatment was a one-time thing. But my last doctor cut me off after I
      I asked for a refill a week early so I could go on vacation. (It wasn’t because I asked it was because when he said he couldn’t because of federal law I told him I knew that wasn’t true)

I think you suspect your doctor will react badly which is why your asking.

karma20w
        Participant

My doctor told me that she couldn’t switch me to the new dose that we had decided on since I had picked up my last script less than 30 days prior. She said I had to wait 2 weeks on a med that wasn’t working for me. I, as well, knew that this was a lie because my previous doctor who had just left the practice to do different work had personally called in a controlled substance for me in advance of 30 days. They can do it, they just don’t want to and what bothers me about it is not that they won’t do it, it’s that they lie and say that it’s the law. I would be fine if she told me that her personal preference is to only call in one every 30 days but when they say it’s a law when it’s not, I feel like they are assuming that I’m dumb just because I have ad/hd. I didn’t call her out on it, though, I just switched to a better doctor (that is not the only issue I had with her.)

Decimus
        Participant

I am not too concerned about how they will react to the admission. I am honestly only concerned about the potential future consequences of the ‘stain’ on my medical record. I don’t smoke or do any other drugs and hardly ever drink so I am concerned about how it could affect me and my future treatment.

JBoom
      Participant

I agree it depends on the doctor, as I don’t think there are established protocols for dealing with such a thing. I do know that this is the reason it’s a controlled substance; because it can easily lead to abuse since the urge to take higher and higher doses is common and those higher doses pose significant health risks over therapeutic doses. So, a good doctor shouldn’t “punish” you for it, but rather work with you to solve the problem so you can continue to get the treatment you need.

As to possible solutions, you must first really want to solve the problem. That is, if there is any part of you that wants to continue taking high doses, you are less likely to accept any solutions. You seem to have the desire to stop, so that works in your favor. But do some self reflection and be honest with yourself.

Here’s one idea that can help: Get one of those monthly pill organizers (most are weekly, but there are monthly ones, which you may have to look online for). Fill it up right away with any new filled prescription. It won’t keep you from taking extras, but it will make it immediately clear that you’re stealing from your future and how much you’ve done so. When you just take from the bottle, it’s not as easy to understand how much you’ve done so, or what the impact might be. This helps because we ADHDers aren’t good at thinking about future consequences, but with a strongly visual reminder, it’s more likely.

steadyprogress
      Participant

It sounds like you are ready and willing to take ownership over a situation that is not working for you. And it is great that you are acknowledging that.

I recommend “coming clean” with your doctor. Do not worry about your medical records. Focus on what is best for YOU.

Prior to talking to your doctor, take note of the circumstances and situations that are triggering your feeling of need to take another pill – is it when you are having to go into a meeting and are nervous you wont be paying attention, when you need to sit and do research, when you need to clean your house??

Drive and focus does not come from only the pill itself. It also comes from within.

I suffered and dealt with exactly what you are saying. To the point where I drove myself into a black hole. It is great that you are recognizing this early. It will not go away unless you take action. If you feel uncomfortable approaching and talking with your practitioner, it may be time to find a new one.

Good luck!

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.