What do you want neurotypicals to understand about your ADHD?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums Research Studies Seeking Participants What do you want neurotypicals to understand about your ADHD?

This topic contains 9 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Dr. Eric 1 month ago.

• Author

CalicoBrando
    Participant

Hello,

I am making a video for a class university about what it is like to have ADHD, and I don’t want to be the only one in it. So I want to ask others what they wish regular people understood about your ADHD. I will only be accepting answers until the 21st of April. I will gladly share the video with anyone interested. My whole thesis for this project is to address the stigma of talking about it.

Thanks

syddog9
    Participant

I wish neurotypicals understood that I am incapable of not working as hard as I can. I’m always terrified that people will misinterpret my occasional poor performance, tardiness, or other “failure” as a lack of effort or care. I ALWAYS put maximum effort in everything I do. My ADHD makes me feel like everything is important. So being mislabeled as careless or irresponsible is extremely painful for me.

Good luck with your project!

CalicoBrando
      Participant

Thank you!

I totally understand. I hope we can all get over talking about this mental health stuff in the open so other neurotypical people understand too.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by  CalicoBrando.

kris.only4Him
    Participant

I wish they understood the same as what “syddog9” mentioned! Also, I wish they understood that I’m not this way on purpose. I’m as in control of my adhd as I possibly can be. I can’t afford behavioral therapy but I’m medicated, I eat healthy, try to get enough sleep & I use alarms, apps, timers & a bujo journal. I’m not blaming it on my adhd, I have & will always have adhd. I wish they knew that when they get frustrated with me I’m genuinely frustrated too. They just have to deal with my adhd when they’re around me. I deal with it constantly.

CalicoBrando
      Participant

Yeah I get you, our brains are just wired differently. I don’t think a lot of people understand this and that leads to a lot of troubles. Good on you for keeping healthy!

Mellystardust
    Participant

Have you ever checked out ADHD Alien? It’s a comic by an artist named Pina, who writes/draws comics based on her life with ADHD and being NT. I have a hard time myself saying what I want others to understand, but Pina’s ADHD Alien comic says so much of what I wish I could say. http://adhd-alien.com is the site, but she seems to update social media more frequently. Good luck!

CalicoBrando
      Participant

I have seen them before, but it slipped my mind. Thank you!

Starbams
    Participant

Hello!
    Thank you for making a video!
    I wish people understood different presentations of ADHD. And that it is hurtful when they question your diagnosis due to uneducation of the less known inattentive type.
    Thank you xx
    Starry

RaffiMig
    Participant

I wish people understood that my intentions are genuine, I just sometimes struggle with follow-through.
    I don’t expect people to give me a free pass for it, and I’m always working on it, but I would hate for my friends to think I’m disingenuous.

I sincerely care, I sometimes do forget to follow through though, and I’m working on ways to be better.

Dr. Eric
    Participant

Nothing.
    My issues are mine.
    If they show an interest, I am more than happy to educate.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.