What are your favorite traits that ADHD has given you?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults What are your favorite traits that ADHD has given you?

This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  pittielover 1 day, 8 hours ago.

• Author

ADHDmomma
    Keymaster

This discussion was originally started by user Lilapsophile in ADDitude’s now-retired community. The ADDitude editors have included it here to encourage more discussion.

My favorite traits from my ADHD are creativity and a bent sense of humor, and well as perseverance. What are your favorite traits you have been given by your ADHD??????

Kevin Ju
    Keymaster

This reply was originally posted by user Burraak in ADDitude’s now-retired community.

Fortunate ADHD’s often describe Creativity, Sense of Humour and Extra kick of energy as their gifts but
    Generally I don’t like anything about ADHD however
    Creativity is something I like the most but not so helpful if I have no opportunity in hand to use it,
    Sense of humour without understanding social cues and people psychology often brought embarrassment

Pardon me I may go off topic but these extra gifts are not so helpful in our quest to survival

Kevin Ju
    Keymaster

This reply was originally posted by user Keaton04 in ADDitude’s now-retired community.

IF there is a last minute something to be done I can get it done without panic or freaking out! I can do some of best work under the gun, However I do not like to let that happen and do my best to avoid that situation at all cost! Strange sense of humor! I visualize everything! I have a thing with numbers! I am like 411! I can remember phone numbers from way way back!

Kevin Ju
    Keymaster

This reply was originally posted by user Michael Freeman in ADDitude’s now-retired community.

Directly my ADHD has caused me severe difficulty and lifelong struggles, but such difficulty and struggling has given me insight and empathy into other people, especially those with complex behavioral and emotional difficulties.

I have a lot of empathy for others who have not had the most fortunate circumstances in life, this is without a doubt due to the disadvantage that i have suffered.

For some reason also, I am very good at interacting with younger people and children.

befree
    Participant

I am very computer savvy, a creative problem-solver, have an unending reservoir of ideas, am curious and can get myself interested in just about anything, can spell check better than Microsoft, read emotions in peoples’ body language like a book, empathetic, protector of the underdogs, more energy than anyone else. In hyperfocus I can work faster and more accuratly than anyone in the department.

befree
    Participant

Oops – I spelled “accurately” wrong – but that was because I wasn’t paying attention, not because I don’t know how to spell it.

anomalocaris
    Participant

The best thing I get from ADD is that adrenaline dumps dopamine into the brain. That means that in a crisis, when everyone else is freaking out, my brain suddenly becomes normal, leaving me calm and focused.

pittielover
      Participant

The best thing I get from ADD is that adrenaline dumps dopamine into the brain. That means that in a crisis, when everyone else is freaking out, my brain suddenly becomes normal, leaving me calm and focused.

This is why I’m a meeting planner! I am super calm under pressure and give the illusion that everything is just fine.

Other than that, there’s the creativity aspect. When I was younger I wrote stories like crazy. However, I never finished them (there’s the ADHD kicking in). I am VERY particular about spelling and grammar (which is a good and bad thing) – hyperfocus and all that.

KHansen
    Participant

My husband has ADHD. He is an excellent mutli-tasker and problem solver. Additionally, he is action oriented and good at doing large projects in a short period of time.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.