Weight Loss and Medication Guilt

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Health & Nutrition Weight Loss and Medication Guilt

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Claire.W 2 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

Soprano2
    Participant

I have been overweight since middle school due to poor family eating habits. After getting diagnosed my Senior year of high school, I started taking Adderall, and it has really been helping with impulse control and weight loss. I’ve lost 30lbs after taking Adderall (20 mg XR daily) for 4 months.

Sometimes I feel like taking Adderall is cheating my way to weight loss, because it kills my appetite, so I don’t have to work as hard to lose weight. But then I remember that ADD gave me the impulse control and dopamine issues in the first place, and there’s nothing wrong with medicating a diagnosed neurological condition.

But I’m not eating healthier; I’m eating less. I tried several times before meds to lose weight but it never worked. I felt like healthy eating was just not possible for me. Now that I’m finally dieting successfully I feel guilty that it isn’t the result of sheer will power, but of medication. A few months in I am eating a bit healthier, I actually crave salad, broccoli, or grilled chicken sometimes- although that might me nutrient deficiency from eating so little.

I feel like the cultural weight loss discourse is so centered around personal responsibility, which I have never been able to accomplish without medication.
    I feel like I’m dependent on my meds for my health, which isn’t great but isn’t that the point of medicine?

justinbieber
    Blocked

Hi My Name is Justin i Read Your post. I don’t think so you are dependent on medicicne you are thinking wrong. Bcz you think when something wrong with you. You think medicine do this which you taking. can you tell me how you take Adderall.

vdexter
    Participant

It’s easy for me to say “don’t feel guilty.” But let me say it anyway. I hope people aren’t making you feel that way. There’s no law that says you have to explain to anyone why/how you’re losing weight. If you say “my appetite’s just changed lately,” that’s true. Why you’re taking the meds is nobody’s business. Also, I like to look at it this way–you’re finally getting something back from ADD, which may’ve taken a lot from you at times. And good job with the better nutrition. Keep doing that as best you can.

Claire.W
    Participant

This is almost exactly my situation! From the ages of 12 to 18 I was pretty overweight, not obese, but heavy enough that it began to affect my health. Once I was diagnosed with ADHD, and put on Adderall, my weight began to slip right off. i’ve always been grateful for the Adderall and how its given me a normal life with a weight which I can be happy at, but I know it isn’t this way for everyone. I would encourage you to think of it as not a weakness to need medication, but at a given. I doubt that you would fault a Type 1 Diabetic for using insulin. In my opinion, its a very similar situation! My brother happens to be a Type 1 Diabetic and he and I had a lot of talks when we were both starting to understand our health drawbacks. Adderall helps me function, it doesn’t make me “normal,” whatever the hell that means, but it does allow me to work like the majority of society does. Its similar when thinking about weight loss. If it was your ADHD which made you susceptible to gaining weight, then why shouldn’t the medicine which addressed the disorder help with weight too? Weight loss is a side affect, but its also addressing a side affect of the disorder. I hope this helps!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.