WARNING – A new generic Methylphenidate Er tab hit the market in December 2016

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Treating Your Child WARNING – A new generic Methylphenidate Er tab hit the market in December 2016

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Suxie22 3 days, 21 hours ago.

• Author

WI-Mom-of-Boys
    Participant

It made the wheels fall off our child! Apparently pharmacy benefit management companies have the right to switch prescriptions to the cheapest generic available and not notify you AND not mention that the drug they are giving your child is new to the marketplace. Our child’s senior year was ruined! It took us months to figure out what the culprit was. It was the very drug prescribed to help him focus! It was Methylphenidate Er Tabs by Mylan (Epi-Pen). During this time our son’s grades went from above average to being on the brink of failing three classes that his special ed teachers deamed “the easiest schedule they had ever seen a senior get.” One class was ceramics! Our son also got into a car accident,and was ticked for inattentive driving. That same month he also got two more tickets. We are in court now trying to get him a work and school permit. He works as a pizza delivery guy! It didn’t click what the problem was until a May 1st conference with two of my son’s three special ed teachers. They said he was “not the same kid they had worked with for the past three and a half years.” We have always relied on teachers to let us know when our son needed an increased dose of his medicines, because the 12 hour dose is most effective during the day when we see him the least. Their comments were a red flag for me! However, as it turns out, he didn’t need a stronger dose of what he was on! He needed Concerta or an equivalent generic! Not a new product!!! I turned my complaint on this drug into the FDA. If your child is having issues, please check the manufacture of your child’s generic. You and your child could also be victims!

I think true justice would be for the PBM and drug executives to lose their jobs and driver’s licenses and be driven around by their parents!!!

ADHDmomma
    Keymaster

There have been a lot of problems with generic Concerta, so much so that the FDA revoked some of the generics’ brand equivalency status. We had the same problem, the generic Concerta was like taking nothing. Our doctor wrote “brand medically necessary” on all his scripts after that, until the pharmacies were required to use only one of the generics, which was manufactured by the same company as brand name.

Generic Concerta Is Not Created Equal

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Author & Mentor on Parenting ADHD, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Suxie22
    Participant

Wisconsin Mom:

You are correct in your analysis. Quick data inquiry of medical/pharmaceutical research documents will reveal that scientists confirm that generic Concerta (Methylphenidate Extended Release) is a BIOEQUIVALENT, that is, the generic tablets have the same biochemical make-up of the Concerta, however the effectiveness of the proprietary delivery system (it is patented) of the Concerta is NOT part of the generic. The absence of the effective delivery system greatly reduces the generic Concerta efficacy. The FDA only certifies prescription generics on a basis of bioequivalency; not delivery.

What makes Concerta unique as an extended release is in fact the way the medicine is delivered throughout the day via a tiny hole in one end of the pill. This provides a slow dosage of the medicine over time, and greatly reduces side effects of headaches and loss of appetite since the medicine is not absorbed into the blood stream all at once.

CERTIFIED GENERIC CONCERTA will have the tiny end hole in the pill, as will name-brand Concerta. Do not accept any other generic prescription. You will have to advocate for this at the pharmacy, since many pharmacists will not be aware of this issue with the Concerta.

If you have not picked up by now, we had this issue with our daughter last fall. I am so sorry to hear your son’s gpa took a hit, but then the positive is that you found a medicine that is very effective for him.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.