Vyvanse Not Working

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Penny Williams 1 week, 1 day ago.

• Author

AbsoluteArtist
    Participant

(I’m 14, for reference) So, I’ve been on Vyvanse for a little over a year. About 4-5 months ago, we upped my dosage from 30mg to 40mg, because the 30 wasn’t working anymore. Well, now the 40 isn’t working as well as it used to. I take it at about 6:30 a.m., right before school. It kicks in at about 7:00. I’m all fine and good until about 10 a.m., where I start to notice small things, such as I can’t stop bouncing my leg, chewing my nails, doodling, etc. And then I can’t stop talking. And then I get super hyper. And all this happens from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m., so it’s not lasting nearly as long as it needs to. I get out of shool at 2:15, unless I have an after-school club, which then I stay until 4:15. What can I do about this? Should I change my dosage, or get my medication changed completly?

Penny Williams
    Keymaster

You need to contact your prescribing doctor and ask what you can do to remedy this issue. It could be a dosage increase or a medication change. Make sure you’re staying away from Citric Acid a couple hours before and after taking your medication — that can reduce the efficacy of the medication.

5 Rules for Using ADHD Medications Effectively

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Dr. Eric
    Participant

Given your age, this may be a dance that you and your doctor will have to deal with until your development stabilizes.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.