VYVANSE

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Johnathan1997
      Participant

I’m starting VYVANSE tomorow and can’t wait to start it’s been a while now with this crazy year and get back on track usually take it with my Pristiq medication so basically how does VYVANSE go for you guys in General just want your honest opinion I’ve taken it a few months ago back and can’t wait to get on this medication tomorow let me know your opinions comment down below

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

You can find some user reviews for Vyvanse here:https://www.additudemag.com/medication/vyvanse/

But, remember, everyone has a different experience with each ADHD medication, so the experiences of others aren’t necessarily indicative of what your experience will be.

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Coach, Podcaster & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

geobeck
      Participant

I’ve been on Vynase since May, first 20 mg, now 30 mg. The downside for me is that if I’m especially stressed or tired, the effect seems to wear off faster. The upside is that it’s a convenient once a day medication that has helped me concentrate at work and be much more productive.

Context: Newly diagnosed at age 50, non-hyperactive, strong coping mechanisms before diagnosis & medication.

lynneiha
      Participant

Hi,

I love, love, love Vyvanse. It was the first ADHD med I tried, and the only one that works great for me.. It builds slowly in your system as the chemicals in it have to bind with protein for the med to work. (That is a very vague scientific explanation-sorry). But it gives me a very smooth small “high”-just enough to wake up easily in the morning, and makes it SO much easier for my brain to work. I took it for seven or eight years, and good God, I want and need it back in me!! After seven years with me, my psychiatrist retired, and I made the mistake of not setting myself up with a new dr. Such a mistake…I ended up having to use a low-income med clinic due to no insurance.

My nurse practitioner refused to keep giving me Vyvanse because I admitted I was drinking a couple of drinks a day. My mom was dying! I was her caregiver, and her sister, who I had been very close with, had died a few months before. But supposedly, if you drink regularly and take Vyvanse, you have a slight risk of seizures. She said she would put me back on Vyvanse the minute I went into a de-tox center, and came out successfully, and took a drug test. Boy was she lying.
      At four months sober, and many AA meetings later, my nurse practitioner still refused to write me a script for Vyvanse, saying she’d “consider it”, if I maintained a longer sobriety period. Mentally, I told her where to go.

Now seven months sober, I’ve ended up with a different nurse practitioner in our county health department, who also will not write me a script for Vyvanse.
      Her reasoning is not totally understandable, but is primarily because she has had a really hard time getting my medical records from my former psychiatrist. (He has now called me twice about this, and faxed them my records twice or maybe three times). It seems that the records may have finally been “found” by our admittedly overworked and understaffed health department. But the nurse practitioner DOES have confirmation that I was on Vyvanse for seven years because she received my med records from my former general practitioner, (who also is now retired). Was it not a “flag” for her that maybe one shouldn’t take a patient off a med suddenly when they have been on it successfully for eight years??

Apparently not! Now I’ve been struggling for two plus years without the medication that I KNOW works to keep me productive and happy. My boyfriend of eleven years, who I have lived with for about half that time, swears that my quality of life and my coping skills have gone steadily downhill since I started taking Vyvanse. Without him, I would be homeless-no exaggeration.

So, to sum things up, I’ve had a great experience with Vyvanse, and I’ve read mostly positives about it. Over the years, we did up my dosage to 70 mg. But then, I am extremely, severely ADHD.
      Oh, and I was able to get it free from Shire at one point, by sending them a request and a little “proof” that I am in a basically “no income” bracket. So, if money is an issue, as it often is, there are ways around the otherwise crazy cost of $300 plus, without insurance.
      Good Luck on your journey. If you can find a med that works well for you, all struggles are worth it.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.