Vyvanse- 10 year old son started taking this

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Behavior & Discipline Vyvanse- 10 year old son started taking this

This topic contains 18 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  BRLK 3 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

dreanah
    Participant

My 10yr old son recently started taking Vyvanse after taking Adderall. With Adderall he was very aggressive and had mood swings. I am noticing that even though it has been 4 days it doesn’t seem to be doing much. At school he is fidgety, laughing uncontrollably and not focused. Has anyone else seen this?

BRLK
    Participant

My son had the same issues as yours on Adderall. Vyvanse has worked great for him but all kids are different. I’d talk to your doc. Doseage may be wrong. For my son Vyvanse helped with focus but not impulsivity. He takes it combined with straterra and together they do the trick. It can take time to find the right dose/med/combo so hang in there.

bec2802
      Participant

Hi BRLK,

I just wanted to know what dosage of strattera your son is on in conjunction with the Vyvanse. My son who is 11 has been on many medications ( most were discontinued because he wasn’t eating enough) and is currently being weened off strattera to go back on vyvnase. He is currently on 10mg of strattera and I’m wondering if I should keep him on a low dose of Strattera while he starts up the Vyvanse again. We stopped it last year as he wasn’t eating and his weight gain was poor.

Many thanks

BRLK
      Participant

@bec2802 he is 12 and takes 60mg of Straterra combined with 50mg of Vyvanse. We of course didn’t start at those doses – he started low and worked up to this over the past 4+ years. Also pls keep in mind that dosage isn’t based on weight or age, but the reaction of te child to the medication so while one may have a very positive reaction to a small dose, another may not see any change until a higher dose. Good luck!

bec2802
      Participant

Many thanks for that. Had your son tried both medications independently of each other? My son was on Vyvanse 30mg with good results in the classroom for nearly 1.5 years but because of weight his paediatrician decided to try Strattera, 10mg eventually ending up with 35mg, it doesn’t seem to help in the classroom. He has been on Srattera since April last year. She didn’t want to increase the dose as she said the recommended dose was 1.5mg per kilo and he is only small weighing 25.3kg as an 11 year old. He is having difficulty at school with boys in the playground as well as at home, he told his teacher yesterday that he hates his stepdad and doesn’t like it at home, his dad and I have 50/50 custody of the children and we have them a week at a time. We are very strict here, I believe in boundaries, structure and a regular bedtime, his dad has a very different household. His teacher said that children have a way of manipulating a situation to get what they want. I don’t know what to do.

BRLK
      Participant

Yes, he tried each med independently. Straterra alone did absolutely nothing to help him in the classroom. Vyvanse alone ramped up his anxiety and caused tics. Combined, the Straterra mitigates the side effects and allows the Vyvanse to do its job. I do think kids will manipulate their situation to their advantage when they can – neurotypical or otherwise – but in my experience when my son starts acting out in anger there’s usually something happening that’s ramping up his anxiety causing him to act out because he doesn’t have the emotional maturity to handle it another way. Sometimes you have to play detective – is there a subject or assignment at school he’s struggling with? For my son early on we discovered his refusal to complete written work was tied to his difficulty with handwriting. We gave him an iPad to type his work and that behavior stopped. Outburst in class were tied to having to work in groups which made him uncomfortable so we worked hard improving his comfort level by starting him with partners he was comfortable with them slowly reintroducing him into group projects. Not focusing in class would often make him miss key instructions, then be too embarrassed to ask for help and just refuse to do the assignment or have an outburst of emotion that he knew would get him out of it, etc. often if you can dig to the root of the problem and address the cause, change in behavior will follow.

bec2802
      Participant

Can I ask how much your son weighs and do you live in Australia? I have found on Strattera that my son may as well be on no medication even on 35mg. I liken it to when he was first diagnosed and was unable to sit still and was fidgeting with pencil etc. Sorry for all the questions but what issues were you having with your son on both of the medication independently?
      Thanks

bec2802
      Participant

I think he is struggling at school in general and not that medication is the be all and end all I do think it has a lot to do with his general happiness and ability to cope.

BRLK
      Participant

We live in the US. He’s is 65lb which I think is around 30kg. His biggest challenges are impulsivity and inattention. The Straterra alone helped calm the impulsive behaviors a bit – fewer outbursts, less interruptions, maybe slightly calmer. However it did nothing to help him focus for any length of time or complete his classwork. He was literally getting nothing done and all his work was coming home. Vyvanse alone helped his focus, stay on task and complete work but it was making him edgy and causing repetitive OCD type behaviors like picking his skin until it bled, blinking his eyes repetitively, repeating noises over and over, etc. When we added Straterra to the Vyvanse those behaviors stopped. To your point, meds do not solve the issues but they can put the child in a space where they are more focused, more calm, and are then receptive to other inputs such as therapy. It “takes the edge off” so they are able to then learn and grow.

bec2802
      Participant

How was your sons appetite on the Vyvanse alone and how is it now on the combined medication
      Many thanks for your help. We have a medication review on Friday with his pediatrician.

BRLK
      Participant

My son has other eating issues that make it difficult to say whether Vyvanse is impacting his appetite. He continues to gain weight, not much but some, so his doctor is not concerned at this time. Good luck Friday!

ADHDmomma
      Keymaster

If Vyvanse was helping in the classroom, but poor appetite was a problem, there are things you can do to combat the appetite issue and continue with the medication that helps him best. Cyproheptadine/Periactin is commonly prescribed for this exact issue in kids with ADHD. It stimulates the appetite. My son didn’t gain weight for about 2 years — one year on Cyproheptadine and he was up 12-15 lbs. It was extremely helpful.

There are other strategies too:

What to Do When ADHD Meds Ruin Your Child’s Appetite

The 5 Most Common Med Side Effects — and Their Fixes

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Author & Mentor on Parenting ADHD, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

ADHDmomma
    Keymaster

Best practices advise that a new stimulant should be started at the lowest dose, and then increased only as needed (if needed). If you’re son is on that lowest starting dose of Vyvanse, it may be that he simply needs an increase in dose. If you’ve already been through the titration and adjustment of this medication, then Vyvanse may not be the right stimulant for him. Here’s medication reviews for Vyvanse:

Vyvanse

There are two types of stimulants used to treat ADHD: amphetamines (Adderall, Vyvanse, etc) and methylphenidates (Concerta, Ritalin, Quillivant, etc). Most individuals do well on one type or the other, but not both. So, taking that into account, it may be time for your son to try a methylphenidate.

A Patient’s Primer on the Stimulant Medications Used to Treat ADHD

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Author & Mentor on Parenting ADHD, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

dreanah
    Participant

He was using Adderall for a while and just recently switched to Vyvanse at the lowest dose. He definitely needs medication for impulse as well as focus. I will see how he does the rest of week. It could be the dose needs to be adjusted.

dreanah
    Participant

Another thing that concerns me is his teacher called today to tell me my son forgot letters of the alphabet and had trouble adding. She said he was focused and told her he can’t remember. That his brain is not working.

ADHDmomma
      Keymaster

Talk to his doctor about this. Could be a sign that Vyvanse isn’t right for him. Also could be nothing. My son spins tales like that when he’s trying to avoid schoolwork, because it’s so hard for him.

Penny

Kellydb
    Participant

My son started Vyvannse around 7 or 8 and he is now 16. It has been a lifesaver. However, last year we had some repeat problems and his dose had to be increased. The dose has to be high enough to effectively help with the symtoms. He is now on 50. My one a day. Prior, it was 30mg and then 40. I would ask for his dose to be re-evaluated, but I would suggest keeping him on vyvannse. In the long run, you will see and know the difference. I’d give it 3 months before switching, but I sought you will need to. Best of luck! It’s one heck of a journey 😊

dreanah
    Participant

The teacher called me daily saying he is not focused,have impulsive behaviors and is very fidgety all day. I understand that he has the lowest dose so I explained that to her. When he goes to his doctor I will mention all of this. At home I can get him to do his homework so maybe at school he is overly stimulated. He has been doing well in school so I don’t want a set back. Thanks for all of your comments.

Kellydb
    Participant

Keep us updated on how your son is doing! It may be over stimulation like you mentioned and at ten they have so much natural energy on top of it. I’m sure the doctor will increase it a bit to see if that keeps him more focused in school. I tried the ritalyn, and Adderall both but they just didn’t work at all, and didn’t like some of the side effects of Adderall. The first med he was on was focilyn which did help quite well in his younger years and then we went to Vyvannse. I’ll never change the medicine type again. Only the dose. Its better to find the one that works best, and stick with it. Best of luck:-)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.