VYVANCE Duration of effectiveness

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents VYVANCE Duration of effectiveness

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      tonymartino2004
      Participant

Hello: MY soon to be 11 year old son who has been on Vyvance 40mg for the last 2 years and doing well on it with no side affects . lately the medication is starting to wear off sooner as noticed by me and his extended day teacher making homework almost impossible by the time I pick him up and go home… Does any one know that if increasing the dosage of vyvanse increases the duration of effect or just last the same time only stronger. Neither his doctor ,pharmacist or even SHIRE(VYVANCE)…. Could anyone answer this….. THANK YOU RON AMODEO

TaurusMoon
      Participant

Hi there,

My 10 year old began taking Vyvanse (20mg) last spring, went on medication holiday over the summer and started again when school began. To answer your question, I am not sure if an increase in dosage would help, but something we have done is change the timing of the dosage.

A 20mg capsule 1x per day was making my son have HUGE side effects- loss of appetite, withdrawn, stomachache, consequently weight loss. After talking with his psychiatrist, we decided to try dosing one 10mg capsule 2x per day.

One just after breakfast (so he could get a good meal in,) and one right after lunch, before he goes out to recess. This has had a noticeable positive effect on squashing the side effects. He is still pretty focused by the time we get home for homework/studying.

I have noticed a harder “crash” for some reason, but that could be close to holiday break burnout. Lol

If you have not tried this already, it may be worth a shot.

Good luck!

deb91
      Participant

I think it’s very individual, so may require some experimentation as TaurusMoon said. My son is 14 and has been on Vyvanse since 1st grade. It worked really well until middle school, then seemed to start wearing off before lunch. Our psychiatrist said that as puberty hits and hormones surge, the effectiveness of the medication can change. My son apparently metabolizes the medicine very quickly now. We did try going up from the 20 mg that he was on throughout elementary school to eventually 50 mg, and did see some improvement. It seemed to last through 5th period (there are 6 at his school). He developed complications though, so we are back to 30 mg and experimenting with adding other medications.

kilometal
      Participant

My 14 year old daughter is on vyvanse and so far it has been the best for focus ,and we have tried numerous ones. It might be two things , maybe your son needs a medication change? I have been told by professionals that over time the meds become inaffective and that the body gets “used”to the drug. Not sure if that’s true, but I know as hormones change etc…. dosages might need tweaking. The second being that his dose in the a.m is early so the drug wears of earlier? I’m sure you have thought of both. Parents of kids like ours are constantly trying to juggle things and read into what is going on in our children.
      I feel like sometimes I know more than my Dr about this. Lol

ConrJakesMom
      Participant

My son takes Vyvanse extended release as well. He metabolizes everything so quickly. An extended release for him lasts maybe 3-4 hours. He now takes 50 mg in the morning and another dose about mid afternoon that is 40 mg. If we don’t get home right after school, we can kids homework goodbye.

Increasing doesn’t usually mean it will last longer, but everyone is different. One thing to be careful of, is when some people increase medication, instead of helping, it can actually do the opposite. He was taking a med, where after they increased to see if it would last longer, he became a bit violent bc the dose was too much. But again, the painful part of trying to get it right, so you can only try to see what happens and make another adjust if it doesn’t work.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 11 months ago by ConrJakesMom.
      Claire
      Participant

Taking more makes it last longer. It will only be stronger if the 40 wasn’t strong enough in the first place (exactly what happened with me). I take three capsules of the 40, all at once in the morning. Taking one tablet wears off after5 hours, two tablets wears off after 9 hours, three tablets wears off after 13 hours. That’s just to give you an example. Each person requires a different dose and metabolizes at a different rate.

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

It depends on the individual’s metabolism, genes, and neurotransmitter functioning. Often, physicians increase the dose when it wears off quicker than it’s supposed to. Sometimes that helps, sometimes it becomes too strong of a dose. There are many different ADHD stimulants in two types: amphetamine (Vyvanse, Adderall…) and methylphenidate (Ritalin, Concerta). People do well on one type or the other, but not both.

A Patient’s Primer on the Stimulant Medications Used to Treat ADHD

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Author & Mentor on Parenting ADHD, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

r8chl937
      Participant

Hello! 🙂 My suggestion is to do one of two things; (or if you prefer to, you can try the first suggestion, and if that doesn’t work, then I’d definitely give suggestion 2 a shot)…
      1) Vyvanse is a great ADHD medication; mainly for the fact of it being the “healthiest” (is the easiest on your liver), compared to other ADHD medications. Your child may have very well, & understandably so, developed a tolerance to the dose that he has been on over the length of time…and/or even a tolerance with that Rx altogether… so one suggestion is to increase the dose (I Highly recommend only 10 mg increases at a time- giving it to 2-3 weeks) to see if any improvements are shown.

2) If you would either prefer not to go that route, or if you do and no signs of improvement are shown, my next recommended suggestion would be to temporarily switch him to an alternative (a different ADHD) medication. During this period of time, his tolerance for Vyvanse will decrease, making the switch back to it work effectively. Based and depending on what his Doctor recommends- (possibly somewhere in the two or three month range)- his tolerance for the Vyvanse will then be decreased enough (if existent at all!), and he could then be switched back over to the Vyvanse; hopefully resulting in showing the same results that were seen before. This is not a fool-proof method however, and in some (pretty rare) cases, sometimes certain medications just don’t work anymore for some; even with the teetering back and forth. I know it can be frustrating for both parties, but there is only one way to find out which category he would fall under- determining the future approach.
      Also, are you familiar with “drug holidays”? Always talk to the Doctor before doing so, but drug holidays is the term used for breaks without taking the medication, or taking a smaller dose of, for example, over the weekend where the child does not take the medication sometimes extending over longer periods of time like the whole summer…it widely varies from person to person, and it is never recommended to ever completely stop taking anything without talking with the doctor first; as many may need weaned down from overy a period of time.
      Lastly, keeping in mind (as stated above from others), hormones and such can affect how medications work with their effect- along with diet as well… but even so, those are my top two suggested recommendations for you. I hope this helps & I wish you the best of luck in getting it figured and straightened out as soon as possible!
      ~Rachel

purnapatelny
      Participant

My daughter is 9 taking 30mg of Vyvanse daily. She takes her medication at 7am on weekdays and the teacher(s) have recently stated that her focus decreases during her afternoon Math sessions. The doctor thought that sleep may be an issues (i.e. not sleeping enough) and prescribed Guadafacine in the evenings. Recently she has been displaying higher emotions and her behavior has be inconsistent. She gets angry quickly and yells (at her sisters) and struggles with following instructions. As of late, I have also a noticed a change in her social behavior (with Holidays around the corner and more family around). Any thoughts? Anyone have similar outcomes adding Guadafacine. Should I try to increase her dosage?

Thanks
      Purna

Penny Williams
        Keymaster

All of these medications can have mood side effects for some people. You must chat with her prescribing doctor about what you’re seeing and how to adjust her medication. It sounds like she may not be tolerating the guanfacine… but your doctor must advise you on what to do.

Penny
        ADDitude Community Moderator, Author & Mentor on Parenting ADHD, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

rmlewis74
        Participant

to Purna re: Guanfacine

it was recommended that my son take Intuniv/Guanfacine last year as part of an effort to increase our chances of getting homework done in the evening. It was one of the worst decisions of my life. It made him so angry and tired. I took a generally happy boy and turned him into a monster. He had never been a behavior problem at school and he got into a verbal fight with a lunch lady (!!!!), he was caught being very sneaky in class and he told him he hated me multiple times {had never done that or even come close} and even packed his bags in an attempt to run away – he was 10. I just pulled out my documentation and this was all a year ago this exact week {today is the 1 year anniversary of him packing his bags.} I talked to his swim coach about his behavior and she said he seemed “different” but couldn’t put her finger on it. When I told her why i was asking she looked stunned and told me she had been on that medication before and was such a hostile person her friends had an intervention. She did say she takes a lower dose twice a day and does much better, however, we pulled the plug on it after 30 days. I really wanted it to work which is why we persevered through 30 days. There were a few highs {unexpected I love yous, hugs & kisses from a usually-unaffectionate child, and he out of the blue asked if he could go pick up trash in the woods after seeing some litter.} Unfortunately he had a big championship swim meet that he bombed because he was cloudy and tired. The pediatrician was surprised that he had this reaction and claims he hadn’t heard of those side effects before. I know you brought this up in Decemeber and it’s not 1.5 months later but I thought I’d respond anyway..

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.