Voice recorder / dictaphone – reviews?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Getting Things Done Voice recorder / dictaphone – reviews?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  willbyers 4 months ago.

• Author

Confusicus
    Participant

If any of you are using dictaphones, I’d like to hear your experiences.

I bought a cheap Chinese voice recorder and I’m trying to build a habit of using it. I get thoughts and ideas that appear in an instant, often five at the same time and on totally different topics. And they disappear as quickly as they came, and then I spend a long frustrated hour trying to remember what it was. At best I recap two out of five.

Let’s say I’m talking work with a colleague. Out of nowhere I get an idea for how to get my kids more involvede in the household chores. Here is where I want to pull up the dictaphone, record “small post-its, Sunday, chores” and then keep on talking work.

Now the problem with the voice recorder I bought is getting it started. If it’s not already on I must turn it on and wait for it to start. If I left it on, pressing REC will sometimes start recording, but other times it just wakes it up, and then I must press again for it to start. Unless it has auto turned off – then I must first turn it off, and then on. Aaargh! And the thought had disappeared.

Phone apps could do it, but… If I pick up my phone I’ll see I have a message from my girlfriend, and there’s been an earthquake. And there’s a special on canned peaches. Thought gone.

So I think a dictaphone might be the answer for me.
    But when I look at the specs I can read about all features they have, except for how quick and easy it is to start recording.

Please share your experiences and recommendations for voice recorders

willbyers
    Participant

How about using a cassette recorder – it will start recording as soon as you press record

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.