Unusual request/situation

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums School & Learning Unusual request/situation

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      cherokeejay
      Participant

New to forum and ADHD. My wonderfully smart child has finally been diagnosed with ADHD. We are still in the early stages of the testing processes but have already hit something that I think is going to be a huge snag. We requested testing(for the fourth time finally going through our doctor) mid school year(semester break) last year but the first opening for an appointment was mid July. Our daughter is extremely bright, testing just 3 points shy of the necessary gifted and talented scores so the school refuses to see a problem. However, by the end of 7th grade(last year) they had decided to hold her back due to laziness as she was failing several core classes due to organizational issues. She would have passed all her classes if not for the penalties received from turning in her papers late in spite of the issues of missing work. Thing is the ADHD doc is wanting us to get this over turned and have her advanced with her class as she feels it will be more detrimental in the long run to hold her back. I have no idea how to do this at this point in the process. Can it be included in a 504 that last years scores must be adjusted retroactively? I am just so lost. Our school is usually pretty good at working with parents and this could be easy or they could really dig in their heels and fight it. I need options and suggestions.

dmvaughn00
      Participant

Hi, as a 6th grade teacher with ADHD, I might be able to offer some insight/advice. Your child might qualify for an IEP under “Other Health Impairment” which is an umbrella term that covers conditions that limit a child’s strength, energy or alertness such as ADHD. I’m assuming she hasn’t had an IEP up to this point in school, so what you should do (or at least what I would do) is ask your doctors for copies of your child’s testing results as well as a note from the doctor explaining the results and how it has adversely affected your child’s academic performance. Then you need to call the school’s IEP coordinator as well as the principal and ask for a conference regarding turning over her retention based on these results. The IEP coordinator should be able to discuss options as far as what you need to do to get the ball rolling on qualifying her for an IEP. Every state and district has different procedures and policies for what they will qualify for an IEP. I know in my district, the school will often implement its own inquiries based on feedback from teachers who currently have the student in question. If you can’t get an IEP, then a 504 Plan is a viable option. I had a student with pretty severe ADHD who didn’t qualify for an IEP, but he did get on a 504 Plan.

Here is a link to a site that shows the comparison between the two. https://www.understood.org/en/school-learning/special-services/504-plan/the-difference-between-ieps-and-504-plans

I hope I was able to help! 🙂

cherokeejay
      Participant

Thanks, I’m not sure how much help it will be. The request is very new; the doctor has only seen her once. The doctor has stated that an IEP will be very hard to get but that she will do a 504. In addition we are also doing autism screening. It is my hope that principal will be sympathetic and overturn it as she was hesitant to hold her back in the first place and waited until the very last minute to do so. She simply couldn’t understand my daughters sudden inability to function; in spite of the fact that we had requested help and testing many times previously. She’s too smart for that was the standard answer. I will still ask the school about an IEP. If nothing else I guess we will enroll in online school and request placement testing for a semester. Thanks for the links I need all the preparation I can get.

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

Oh boy! This is my biggest pet peeve when it comes to schools and our special needs kids — the idea that intelligence dictates capability all on its own. Argh!

My son has a gifted IQ, as well as ADHD, autism, and dysgraphia. Teachers have told him (and I) for years that he’s “smart enough” to keep up with his work, finish assignments, turn in assignments, pay attention in class, blah, blah, blah! It makes my blood boil.

Executive functioning (skills required to do well in school but notoriously lacking in most with ADHD) and intelligence and two totally separate parts of the brain and functions. One has absolutely nothing to do with the other! Poor executive functioning skills are the reason kids with ADHD often do poorly at school.

What Is Executive Function Disorder?

Being gifted and disabled is called Twice-Exceptional:

Accommodations For 2e Students

I would call the Director of Special Education for your school board and ask for a meeting that includes the school principal. Discuss the fact that she’s being evaluated for ADHD and autism. Point out that she should do better next year as long as the school supports her special needs. These individuals have the authority to override rules that are guided by particular scores, including retention. My son never passes End of Grade achievement testing, but he is not retained for that, because of his special needs. If you have a conversation with him, he has clearly learned the material throughout the school year.

Keep fighting!
      Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Author & Mentor on Parenting ADHD, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

cherokeejay
      Participant

Just wanted to post an update. Talked with the principal they are willing to advance her as normal(I think it was primarily because I threatened to transfer her to a K12 online program…they’d lose funding and a student who scores as proficient in every area of testing, it’s a small school and would make a difference). It does however come with the condition of not failing any classes this year or she will be held back. Fair enough in my opinion. They are also going to do a 504 with us. I think executive function is a big part of the problem so now that I’ve made it this far does anyone have suggestions of good things to ask for in a 504 that will help my kiddo stay on track and learn to self manage?

Penny Williams
        Keymaster

There are so many things possible for 504 accommodations. What you want to ask for are accommodations that address exactly what SHE needs, based on what she’s struggling with.

With executive functioning deficits, she might be having a hard time remembering to use her planner or turn in work, for instance. In that case, it’s ideal to ask teachers to check her planner at the end of every class, every day, and to make sure she has the materials necessary to complete any assignments. Then a reminder at the beginning of class to turn in work. In my experience, teachers just won’t do this (due to time constraints and having 30 kids who may need their attention, although that’s no excuse). An alternative is to have assignments posted online or emailed to you and your daughter.

Here’s a great list of possible accommodations to address executive functioning deficits:

Free Checklist: Common Executive Function Challenges — and Solutions

Here are some additional accommodation ideas for the middle school years:

Dear ADDitude: What Are Smart Middle School Accommodations?

Penny
        ADDitude Community Moderator, Author & Mentor on Parenting ADHD, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

shudson76
      Participant

I am not sure if I can offer anything new butI have 2 special needs children. One who is 13 and one who is 3. Be sure to understand that in order to qualify for an iep, a child no matter what age, must have one area of a 2 standard deviation or 2 areas of a 1.5 deviation. Beware most schools appear to be sincere when it comes to 504 and IEP. Don’t let your guard down!! Go in with medical documentation and every test paper, record parent teacher conference. Would also check with your school, they have to provide youbwith a parent advocate for the 504 and iep stuff too. If the school still denies services contact your local state. I live in ohio and our group is OCECD. They will attend every meeting,walk you through it a step by step. Also note anything can be placed in a 504 it is a gateway to a iep. They can even include transportation. But definitely ask for organization, extra time on test, extra time to turn in assignment. This way when the end of the grading period comes amd teachers close that grading period anything not turn in has a extra week or two without penalty.

shudson76
      Participant

I forgot to mention OCECD is Ohio Coillition Education forChildren with Disabilities.

gentlygenli
      Participant

It will hurt her far more to be held back. ADHD is the same kind of disability as being deaf. If a deaf kid can lip read well enough to muddle through more or less, the school can’t refuse a sign language interpreter because he’s doing “well enough.”

cherokeejay
      Participant

Ugh it seems like it is never ending, the first quarter is over the grades are barely passing. We’ve had to change meds due adverse reactions and my kiddo isn’t getting anything discussed in the 504 meeting. Makes me feel like I made the wrong choice and should have had her repeat the previous grade, at least that way the struggle would be far less. Things at home haven’t improved either though so we’re still trudging up hill in deep snow in the pitch black without a clue as to where the path lies.

cherokeejay
      Participant

Still failing, lots of frustration, lots of tears. She can learn it and understand it very quickly she just can’t seem to get it back out onto paper and gets so frustrated when it’s repeated to her like she is too dumb to understand. She has Been through multiple medication changes that have made her sick, tired, cranky, emotional, and behind in class work. Started vyvanse 2 weeks ago. Watching heart rate closely as it’s making heart rate elevated. They are also Adding buspirone for anxiety. I am Worried about side effects a lot and we’re not making much head way. I am really Grateful vacation is coming up, everyone needs a break. Start over again when we go back in January, we have a very short 504 list and next to no compliance, so frustrating when she is going through so much. Thinking about trying online school for her core classes instead. Do any of you do online schooling with your middle school aged children? Opinions are greatly appreciated.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 11 months ago by cherokeejay. Reason: Added online school query
        Penny Williams
        Keymaster

It would be best to start a new discussion in the School forum with your question about online virtual school — it’s more likely to be seen and answered there.

Penny

Viewing 9 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.