Unmotivated to take Adderall

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Emotions & Shame Unmotivated to take Adderall

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Penny Williams 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

Penguinny
    Participant

I was recently diagnosed with ADD a month ago. I’m well into middle age and alot of it now makes sense. I’ve been high functioning with several degrees but I found ways to skate by. I have been struggling at work with respect to having any interest and having a really hard time paying attention.

With Adderall, when it is working, it’s working well but I experience drops in mood several times throughout the day (up and down up and down) and it doesn’t coincide with the medication wearing off because I’ll level off and then go back down, level off, go back down. I am on 5mg of XR plus some IR that I usually break in half into 2.5mg. I assume I’ll likely get a tolerance to it at some point since it’s only been about a month on it.

But I’m very depressed and unmotivated in the morning to take my Adderall. When it kicks in, I’m ready to start the day. The problem is, I don’t want to start the day. I want to lie in bed, depressed, and unmotivated. COVID has been hard since I used to travel avidly and do water sports (I even took a huge pay cut and turned down a VP position to take a remote job). Now I’m stuck inside doing a low paying and unrewarding job.

Does anyone else have problems taking their Adderall on the morning and not wanting to start your day?

Penny Williams
    Keymaster

It sounds like you could be depressed. It may be a good idea to see the help of a therapist or counselor to evaluate for depression and support what you’re going through.

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Coach, Podcaster & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.