Unhappy with diagnosis and treatment

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Unhappy with diagnosis and treatment

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  gleiby@yahoo.com 2 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

Elauora
    Participant

Hello, looking for advice. My 11 year old son was recently diagnosed with adhd. I accept that they are proffesionals however when I was explained about the connors results they had told me that his connors test was significantly worse than it was 2 years ago. This does not make sence, I know my son and he has improved so much in concentration etc. They also carried out the school observation 3 weeks before school ended for summer and said because all kids are excited about finishing it may affect the test so why do it then, surely it’s not accurate. I was told to attend a few parent information days and then they will speak to me about medication. Is this the only option they give? Just medicate the child. What if I refuse this. I do not want my child medicated. I know all parents think their child is perfect the way they are. But I dont have any issues with my son. He is not hyper he just has few concentration issues and organising and every year he is improving. It is the school and cahms service that are pushing it. And I’m at my wits end. I do not want to discontinue with the service but I just don’t know wat to do. Anyone else experience something similar? Sorry for the long story 😁

ADHDmomma
    Keymaster

No one can force you to give your child medication if you don’t consent. Many physicians encourage medication use for ADHD because studies have proven it effective in improving ADHD symptoms.

Medication + Behavior Management = Success!

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

jmiguelmuniz
    Participant

I have a similar issue but the opposite. I truly believe I have ADHD. My results came back as:

Scale Scale Description Raw Score K Score T Score %
    VRIN Variable Response Inconsistency 6 54
    TRIN True Reponse Inconsistency 14 86T
    F Infrequency 21 101 100
    Fb Backside F 21 undefined 100
    Fp Infrequency Psychopathology 4 70
    L Lie 2 43 93.3
    K Correction 9 37 100
    S Superlative Self-Presentation 13 36 100

When I was reading about these numbers online ,it says that my test is invalidated because of the hi F Tscore. I did not try to trick the test or anything. Is this going to mess up my evaluation? I haven’t heard back from the Dr. yet.

Evocati
    Participant

Elauora,
    As a boy, I felt normal, albeit interested in everything. My mother had been told by my teachers that I was an intelligent kid, excited about everything, and even qualified for a gifted program. We ended up moving around during my middle school years, and my high school years were marked with an incredible amount of classes being missed (I think my junior year, I missed 90 or 100 days, though I don’t recall); the only reason I graduated on time is simply due to my intelligence and resolve, a fact supported by my entrance in to the Naval Nuclear program.
    My experience in the Nuclear program was, to put it mildly, rough, given what felt like, an immense amount of boredom in a program that was challenging and complicated. I eventually flushed out of the program, spent several years in the fleet and was medically separated from the Navy.
    My adult career has been marked with multiple jobs (mostly temp work) in which I was eventually laid off or even fired for various things (boredom, accumulated minor mistakes, and tardiness) until I went back to college (which took 8 years to graduate from, in part due to the extra classes I was interested in).
    Even my college career was marked with poor marks in the more complicated fields (I graduated with a degree in theoretical physics) mostly due to lengthy exams that required incredible concentration.

After all of this, I had a single professor whom asked me, at one point, if I had a learning disability. The question was moderately insulting, in part, because the professor it was coming from was brilliant and someone I highly respected. He even, at one point, doubled my exam time to four hours, but it didn’t seem to help much, if at all. Through all of this, even with my irritation at the insinuation I was disabled, I couldn’t help but wonder (this was in 2008).

From college (I graduated in 2010), I’ve had no less than 6 jobs, most of which I was fired or laid off from for various issues (attention to details, interpersonal conflict, tardiness), one of which lasted for 3 years and was marked with multiple performance evaluations due to mistakes and attention to detail issues.
    It wasn’t until 2016 (8 years after my professor theorized there was an issue) that I finally went in to the doctor to be evaluated, which, you can safely assume given the site we’re on, came back as my having ADHD. Since my diagnosis and medication, I have managed to start my own business (in my free time) and (after a year now) am nearly free of working a full time job simply by being able to focus long enough to build the equipment I needed. Additionally, my relationship with my current g/f has been strengthened due to my ability to control and temper my thoughts and not simply say the first thing that comes to mind.

I don’t know which is worse: knowing that the last 30 years of my life have been marked with failure after failure due to an undiagnosed learning disability or wondering, had I been medicated as a child, whether I would have succeeded in any of my career options.

**TL;DR**

While I understand your concerns as well as your unwillingness to medicate your child, that you don’t have any issues with your child doesn’t mean that there aren’t issues present. Denial of an issue doesn’t vacate it’s presence. By your own admission, he has concentration issues, but while you believe that they are improving, it’s nearly impossible for you to be impartial OR for him to report negative results; what child wants to let down their parent, right?

I would seek out a second opinion and allow them to determine the veracity of your original findings without bring them up and just allow them to test independently. If they concur with the original findings, then it’s up to you on whether or not to allow medication, but keep in mind that the school years are literally the foundations we build our careers from. Much like a house, if the foundation is bad, the house isn’t likely to be in good condition.

gleiby@yahoo.com
    Participant

To be very blunt, I do not take my kids to their pediatrician analysis of their English or History tests. I am sure as h- not going to an educator for pharmaceutical recommendations.

If you are not seeing a behavioral pediatrician, I urge you to look one up and make an appointment. That is who should be making determinations about medical issues. Including medicine.

I do not know how it is with ADHD/ADD, but with ASD, “medical” and “educational” diagnosis are completely different. Someone with a medical diagnosis can not get educational services until they also get the educational diagnosis.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.