Undiagnosed

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      idej07
      Participant

Hi I’m 27. For years people have been telling me I have ADHD. Had a mental breakdown last year, has a break up after 11 years, self-harmed,suicidal thinking, smoked a lot of weed, drunk quite often, now on anti-depressants and currently seeing a counsellor. I’ve had people who have relatives who have it and have approached me about it. Growing up in school I don’t remember ever hearing about anyone who had/has it, and I always shrugged it off when people said to me. But last year I was living away from home and met some new friends, whom all agreed that I have it, even those with a daughter and and brother who has it. My counsellor also thinks I have it. In school I was academically great, or interested, loved sport but never really enjoyed studying, I had to try hard to get my grades especially in my final year at school. I have definitely made a lot of wrong decisions in my life, and currently in a job I don’t necessarily love, single and feeling like a worthless piece of s***. Funnily enough I studied Psychology in uni, and NEVER looked in to ADHD lol but after doing a lot of reading, and seeing forums and chats etc I truly believe I have it. I asked a lot of my friends and they couldn’t believe I didn’t realise until now lol my family have all had a history of mental disorders and I hate the thought of meds, I’m not looking for that as I’ve lived my whole life struggling by and feeling ‘different’. All I’m asking is if anyone can relate and just generally looking to chat to people who can relate as I’ve never felt more alone in my life.

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

You are definietly not alone. If you’re on Facebook, the ADDitude group can really help with this feeling:
      https://www.facebook.com/groups/36128962836/

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Coach, Podcaster & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.