Undiagnosed Teen

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  ADHDMaddie 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

ADDCaroline
    Participant

Hey ADD/ADHD people, I have parents that dont believe that have ADD. I have not been diagnosed by a doctor but my mother will not let me even bring it up. I very sure i have ADD because i have had teachers in the past say so and i have ADD/ADHD friends who have noticed the way i do things.I get overwhelmed easily and my ADD makes it hard to function at what my parents want me to do. What should i do to be diagnosed and be able to get help?

ADHDmomma
    Keymaster

I don’t know that a doctor would see you to evaluate you without a parent. However, I would talk to your guidance counselor at school — sometimes they can help with these conversations with your parents.

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

ADHDMaddie
    Participant

I’m undiagnosed as well but I’m sure I have ADHD. Technically, you can ask your teachers or principal because, in most states, you’re legally entitled to testing (as it’s considered a disability). And, as Penny said, they may be able to talk to your parent. Or, you could also find a time when you’re Mom can talk (like in the car) and explain why you think you have ADHD without letting her stop you from saying anything. Just a thought. I had a similar problem except they all think I “grew out of ADHD.” Hope this helps!

– Maddie

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.