Unable to get Medication

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Treating Your ADHD Unable to get Medication

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      tennesseejenn
      Participant

Hello,

Just tossing this out there. Both to vent and see if anyone else has a similar situation. I’ve been going to a Dr for 15 years now. As a child I was diagnosed with ADHD. This Dr swears that was wrong. I finally found a therapist who retested and sure enough I am NOT depressed I am still ADD. Now thanks to our wonderful government they only want to prescribe straterra, or my favorite- blood pressure medicine. Which I already take. Lmao Which would be fine but I have asthma and have had kidney failure in the past. Two doctors, both want to do Straterra.so is it safe to assume I am going to live out the rest of my life sitting on the side of my bed not being able to get it together or do u accept Straterra and pray I live long enough to have a life? I am so frustrated and fed up! No wonder there is so much illicit drug use. I can’t even afford my bills since I can’t hold a job, so how do these doctors expect me to pay for the insurance they’re happily billing? So frustrated to finally get a corrected diagnosis only to be told the best they can do is kill me or throw antidepressants at me.

Skypark962
      Participant

Goodrx? You may have to front the straterra out of pocket. This sounds awful. Your plan, the Dr. you replaced. I’ve never heard about the Dr. having only an option to prescribe a non-stimulant as per your insurance.

As a patient, you still have alot of rights about what rx you won’t/will accept. Wow, a quick goodrx search shows that this med is around $80 starting dose.

You should have options—-you need to arm yourself with the knowledge of your insurance plan & formulary (list of drugs your insurance covers: Tier 1, Tier 2, Tier 3).

Are you medicare?

tennesseejenn
      Participant

I love GoodRx. I have blue cross as insurance, for the most part, my insurance will civer the medication and GoodRx will allow me to get those that insurance co pay is prohibitive. But even with my primary care, there are on,t two medications that my kidneys and other medications will allow me to take. Those are ritalin or adderall. And i feel like these medication managers are not listening to what my primary care and the manufacturer warnings are saying!. My big thing is these doctors. I dont know if its a state thing (TN) or what, but here i see a psychiatrist for my theraoy, but i have to see a medication manager for the actual prescriptions. Since posting this i went to see the new medication manager and this time they gave me latruda. I spoke with ny PCP, and had i have taken the Latruda id probably not have lived a eedk due to kidney strain/failure and toxicity reaction with another medication. He also suggested i try again, Lamictal, whuch the first time i was taking Lamictal, i was homicidal/suicidal within 10 days.

One is a doctor with Vanderbilt medical center. The other is a hughly reputable private practice. You would think That with a hospital network like that, they would have their stuff together!

Does anyine ekse have to deal with a “medication manager” or is this a TN thing only?

I just dont get it!

Ive never abused a drug in my life and yet i feel as if im being used as a guinea pig instead of receiving the treatment i need.

Skypark962
      Participant

I did not do well w/Lamictal either. It’s an older anti-siezer/antidepresant. After a huge family crisis, the therapist had everyone in our family on it. I was not a fan.
      It’s really annoying that they are not doing their job by making sure it doesn’t hurt your kidneys. Good thing you didn’t take it!

I’ve never heard of a “medication mgr.” Sounds like an extra set of red tape/inefficiency.

Here in Texas, you see a psychiatrist or nurse practioner (this is what I see at a psychiatrist’s office). Having to deal w/two people sounds really frustrating.

I call it the drive-thru of medicine. They don’t read the chart & treat the individual—they just fly by the seat of their pants & if they are negligible in their job, it could potentially hurt/kill you. I really dislike that I have to be my own healthcare advocate & tripple check everything they do.
      Everytime I see my nurse practioner….she asks, “How’s the adderall working.” And I GO: “It’s actually not Adderall, it’s dextro-amphetamine & that’s different. Brand name would be dexedrine or zenzedi.”

Maybe the medication mgr is an extra layer of protection for the pcp since adhd are stimulants. I’ve had pcp’s directly prescribe & some were better than psychiatrists.
      If you have bcbs, I’d hop on the website & search for psychiatrists and pull up the formulary (even print to prove those meds are covered). I’ve had so many people tell me what my plan covers (dr’s included) and be WRONG—costing me extra time/effort.

I’ve straight up told dr’s—no that medication doesn’t work for me. These medications do work, I’m not interested in trying something new.

I’ve noticed there’s two types in prescribing meds…the ones who are open & listen to what I want and the ones who are closed/think they know better.

I hope you get this all sorted—WHAT a major pain!

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.