Trying to find help for my fiance.

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Spouses & Loved Ones Trying to find help for my fiance.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      DarkKnight8083
      Participant

My fiance is currently incarcerated in prison because of a DUI. The main problem is that she is trying to over come her addiction to alcohol. With everything that has happened in her life she has finally come to a realization that things need to change in her life. She has severe ADHD with extreme hyperactivity and because of that she has been sexually harassed by guards had inappropriate comments made about her condition among many other things. We have tried going through the proper channels, but they all seemed to not care and some have even said she is faking it. She has even tried to get help from the disability rights organization in the state and they denied to help her at first as well until she asked to speak to who funds them and then they helped her but in reality they didn’t do anything and denied her help again in the end which she is fighting at this time as well. It has truly been a mess and am looking for someone who is willing to help her with her situation. She has currently filed a 42 USC 1983 against the prison which they tried to get thrown out by miss handling the funds for her filing fee which would have gotten thrown out if I had not paid it myself. She has been told she has a solid case, but everyone in the State of SD seem to be reluctant to take on the state. I can discuss the whole situation if needed, but feel there is to much to try and talk about on this at this time as we are both getting burnt out and in some aspects losing hope that there is anyone willing to help her with her situation. Anything would be helpful at this time as we have exhausted all remedies. The SD Women’s Prison to be honest with you look at mental health as a joke and treat Native women differently than others which she is a Native. She has tried to get into the cognitive therapy as they won’t properly medicate her but they refuse to let her join the therapy. I know that ADHD leads to addiction and run ins with the law and that has been a big part of her life unfortunately. Since meeting her and getting involved with her life she has taken the initiative to turn her life around feeling she has someone in her life that truly cares and is willing to stand by her side. I know that maybe this is asking for a lot but as I have stated we are at our wits end with all of this. I thank those that took the time to read this and I know she appreciates it as well.

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

Are there any rights advocacy groups you can reach out to that work with the prison population? Or an attorney? Mental health is a huge issue in US prisons — the majority of inmates have one of more treatable mental health challenge, but aren’t getting diagnosis and treatment. And rehabilitation is almost non-existent.

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

DarkKnight8083
        Participant

Unfortunately yes she reached out to the disability rights of SD and they first told her they wouldn’t help then when she asked who funded them so she could report them then they agreed to help her but to be honest they just made it look like they were doing something and in reality did nothing and then closed her case. I talked to the head office of NAMI and they couldn’t believe that themselves and gave me some advice but so far that hasn’t helped either, but I just emailed their local office and asked them to speak with her directly. I also wrote the governor. She wrote the governor as well but she feels they are not sending her mail out which I believe because she has filed a lawsuit against them in regards to many issues and they tried to mess with her filing fee and if I would have not paid it myself her case would have been thrown out. Her lawyer we fee was paid by the state to throw her case and as far fetched as that may sound our current lawyer trying to file the habeous has the evidence he lied to the judge about her case. He has even told us that the state of SD is so corrupt it’s not even funny and the way they are fighting against her is something he hasn’t even seen because we have to go to court just to even have a habeous case that’s how much they are fighting her. It mainly has to do with the fact that she is willing to speak out against the corruption because of how they treat her. The associate warden is supposed to be the disabilities rights advocate for the prison and he said she doesn’t have a disability. Everyone basically calls her names tells her she’s just acting out to get what she wants and has even been sexually harassed because of her hyperactivity. So I wish this was a simple case but unfortunately we have gone through a lot and it truly does seem like the system does not care. I’m sure a lot of it has to do with the fact she is native as well. A native lady died in there last month that was diabetic because they refused to take her to the hospital and just said she was faking it and she was a week from getting out. The prison tried to cover it up but to many people witnessed the whole thing including my fiancé. A while back they put her on a medication that has an extremely high alert to it and didn’t even discuss anything about it with her just told her to take it. It gave her chests pains and they wouldn’t even look into it just blew her off. Eventually she refused to take it as more and more side effects start showing up after a couple of months. Then she talked to a doctor on the outside and she said she typed the drug into the computer and said it had an extreme warning on it and had to be discussed with the patient before administration to the patient. So you can see just a slice of what we are dealing with. We’ve tried contacting lawyers and most seem to be to scared to take on the state. Our current lawyer said he would but doesn’t feel comfortable with the area it’s in because he’s never dealt with medical issues or civil issues like hers. So it’s like being between a rock and a hard place. We keep search for the right answers and it’s one of the reason she asked me to post on here hoping maybe someone has had a similar issue and can give us a path to go down that we haven’t already. Thanks for the reply and I hope that clarifies about what you asked.

blue_willow
      Participant

I’m sorry. I’m not going through this myself, and my suggestion may be less helpful than either of us would like.
      If the law doesn’t seem to be working, what about investigative journalism?

Is there an equivalent to the City Pages out of Minneapolis/St. Paul for South Dakota? If not…could you take this to them? The free press can be your friend in cases that are difficult.

Hanna Jones recently wrote an article in the City Pages about the vulnerability of Native American women in the state of Minnesota and how a task force for missing and murdered Native women is being placed before the Minnesota Senate.

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.