Trying 5th medication

Tagged: 

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  cjnevarc 1 year, 5 months ago.

• Author

Rad_Dad
    Participant

My little guy is 8 and has tried Focalin, Vyvanse, Evekeo, and Concerta. Thinking about trying Mydayis or Aptensio XR. The results with the aforementioned medicines have been varied, from barely effective to ticks. It’s been really frustrating and I hate that my son is a revolving door for big pharma products. I personally don’t think he needs the meds but I understand school in America only really caters to one type of student/child. Any other medication suggestions? His teachers say he fidgets and can’t focus (of course). He’s so lively and creative too, simply not cut out for a tradition classroom environment.

Penny Williams
    Keymaster

There are two types of stimulants: amphetamine (Adderall, Vyvanse, Evekeo…) and methylphenidate (Ritalin, Concerta, Quillivant…). Almost everyone does well on one type or the other, but not both. Your son has tried both types. The best next course with medication is to determine which of the meds you tried worked best, determine what type of stimulant it is, then try a different stimulant in that category.

A Patient’s Primer on the Stimulant Medications Used to Treat ADHD

Traditional classroom environments are definitely not suited to kids with differences. Make sure you’ve requested accommodations and/or services at school.

How to Get a 504 Plan or IEP in 12 Steps

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Rad_Dad
    Participant

Thanks Penny.

cjnevarc
    Participant

Hi there! My son is now 10 and has been medicated since he was 6. We learned through trial and error that he is very sensitive to oral stimulants and has experienced various side effects from multiple medications including all the ones you mentioned. The transdermal delivery route has proven to be a lifesaver for him. The Daytrana patch has provided the most smooth, even delivery of medication without side effects. The only issue he experiences is transient motor tics. This will occur usually in the beginnng of the year when restarting the medication. It will typically resolve with a couple of days off of meds or within a week or two. The skin directly under the patch is red after removing it. It normalizes by the next morning. He has very sensitive skin and has never had any issues besides the redness. He has had great success with Daytrana. We also know a couple of other children who a very successfully treated with the patch. I dont know why it is not prescribed more often by the physicians. There were shortages of Daytrana for about 2 years which may be why they got away from prescribing it. However, those manufacturing issues seem to all be resolved. I would suggest requesting to try it out. I cant imagine where he would be without Daytrana. It has been a real lifesaver for us!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.