Trintellix + Dextroamphetamine: Recipe for Anxiety?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Treating Your ADHD Trintellix + Dextroamphetamine: Recipe for Anxiety?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Michelleleeb 1 month ago.

• Author

Michelleleeb
    Participant

Hi there, I’m seeking some guidance from some like-minded folks coping with multiple diagnosis’ alongside the beast, ADHD. I’m trying to figure out what is the cause of the anxiety, Trintellix or Dextro?
    I began Trintellix 10mg and Dextro 40mg a day about 5 months ago. What I noticed first and foremost was how angry I was on these 2 medications combined. However comma, I was hesitant to say anything too quickly because I know meds need time to work. I was doing “OK,” functioning, but still very scatterbrained and very angry. When you’re moving, you feel this way naturally, I thought nothing of the medications related to the anxiety and anger.

First week of January:
    Depression (started during holidays) and just kept getting worse, anxiety was getting worse; I admitted myself to the hospital because I couldn’t figure out if it was situational or medication related. Hospital increased Trintellix but didn’t give me Dextro. I felt little anxiety. I was given Trintellix (doubled) the next day plus Dextro, BOOM! Figured out the anxiety problem!
    Seeing my doctor on Monday, I think it’s time to reevaluate my ADHD medication. I am so fearful of change in medications… plus it gets expensive. Dextro causes a scatterbrained effect for me now, I may have energy from it, but the ability to focus on a singular task is virtually nonexistent.

Has anybody had a similar experience? Figuring out in hindsight that the medication you thought was helping you is actually hurting you? Has anyone discontinued Dextro because of the anxiety it causes? If so, what was the replacement for you?

Thanks in advance!

ADHDmomma
    Keymaster

Stimulants can spike anxiety. It sounds like Sex isn’t the right fit for you. There are many other stimulant options. There are two types of stimulants: amphetamine (Adderall, Vyvanse, Evekeo…) and methylphenidate (Ritalin, Concerta, Quillivant…). Almost everyone does well on one type or the other, but not both.It may be time to try a methylphenidate.

A Patient’s Primer on the Stimulant Medications Used to Treat ADHD

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Michelleleeb
    Participant

I’m fearful, but I’m thinking the same. I have tried a generic methylphenidate (for Ritalin) ER, no great results, it made me jittery. I appreciate your response, I have a feeling I’m going to have to stay away from stimulants as well. Gotta hold out until Monday!

ADHDmomma
      Keymaster

The other possibility is an amphetamine without the dex. It could be the dex that is causing your problems. Or, you could be absolutely right that you cannot tolerate stimulants. In that case, there are a few non-stimulant options and several medications prescribed off-label for ADHD when that’s the case. Don’t lose hope.

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Michelleleeb
    Participant

Penny, I’m going to see my doctor on Monday. I discussed this with my therapist yesterday and she said that she found it unusual that Trintellix and Dextro weren’t working together. Suggested that I discontinue dextro and continue Trintellix at 20mg, I’m trying, it’s not easy. I’m wondering if it would be beneficial to adjust meds inpatient because it’s not easy at home. I’ve only lived here for 6 months, we haven’t settled in because alot of furniture was damaged and destroyed by the moving company. I come home to boxes and can’t make sense out of it. My husband and I argue because of these issues and our own issues…. Monitoring my meds has gotten harder at home because it’s just a really confusing place to be. Any thoughts? I appreciate your feedback. Haven’t made any friends here obviously, my meds were changed the day we moved in! No family here either. And my family doesn’t understand mental illness, they don’t go to any doctor and I know my mom has something, but she insists on being tough, “tough” and just not dealing with it. It’s a fruitless effort to confide in my family, and my husband doesn’t understand mental illness either. Feeling alone in all of this.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.