Tools for Teens

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  ADHDmomma 3 days, 6 hours ago.

• Author

Janice Rodden
    Keymaster

This question was originally posted by an attendee of ADDitude’s webinar. The ADDitude editors have included it here to encourage more discussion.

What apps or tools would help teenagers better manage assignments and their time while they are in those years of separating from the parent managing things and wanting to do everything themselves (which they should do!). Apps especially would be great because my child is a science/tech kid into his technology.

ADHDmomma
    Keymaster

We use iStudiez on an iPad for the school agenda. Also, he uses UPAD3 to complete all worksheets on his iPad and send them in.

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Author & Mentor on Parenting ADHD, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Randy Kulman
    Participant

One of the areas that interests us most at LearningWorksforkids.com is how teenagers can use a variety of apps to support week executive functioning or self-management skills. For many kids with ADHD, difficulty with skills such as organization, planning, time management, and working memory reflect the difficulties they have at school and in managing their lives. Some of my favorites apps for teens with executive functioning concerns include Evernote, Notability, Quizlet, and Google Calendar. We currently provide online training to master these technologies and apps so the kids can use them better to manage themselves. If you would like to inquire more about teaching your child to use these apps, please contact us at [email protected].

Juneau1
    Participant

My son has never been organized even though the school and myself have tried to teach him,oorganizational skills. He will be going off to college and I have concerns. Any recommendations?

ADHDmomma
      Keymaster

Many with ADHD just don’t have the brain “wiring” for organization (it’s part of the poor executive functioning). I’ve found that no amount of trying to teach organizational skills helps, but that approaching it with strategies to manage and cope and tools to help can lead to improved functioning.

How to Treat Executive Function Disorder

My son just finished 8th grade. He was tested for executive functioning a few years ago with the BRIEF, and the results map was astonishing. For organization, the psych had to plot the dot at the very top of the chart — his organizational skills are literally off-the-chart bad. I’ve though for years going all tech and as paperless as possible for school would be the answer for the neverending struggle — to improve it, not “fix” it — but schools have resisted for years, swearing he needed to learn how to manage like everyone else (which makes this momma’s head explode).

How Do I Teach My Teen Life Skills Before He Leaves for College?

In the middle of 8th grade, when my son was doing countless lost or missing assignments over a 2nd and 3rd time every week, I put my foot down and demanded that he be allowed to have an iPad and go virtually paperless. Of course, we had to provide the iPad, but I finally got the approval (because our high school is trying to use technology and submit assignments electronically as much as possible). It has shown some improvement. Unfortunately, teachers in the classroom don’t provide the structure and support to implement it to its full potential. It’s a work in progress for sure.

My daughter is starting college this fall, and I’m learning the colleges are quite tech-based at this point. He should be able to go online to keep up with assignments and grades. The college my daughter is attending has free tutoring in all subjects, so that might be available to him as well — sometimes tutors can work on studying and keeping up with course work with a student too.

And almost every college has a disability services office now. It is highly recommended that students with ADHD use those services.

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Author & Mentor on Parenting ADHD, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.