Too nervous for work

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Too nervous for work

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Nathalie P.
      Participant

Many people tell me that I am too nervous to be good at work. Does medication improve that? (Just starting medication in March) What else can I do? Any recommendations?

Fluttermind
      Participant

I was diagnosed later, at 25, so I had developed a lot of anxiety over things. This is because I couldn’t get stuff done and it stressed me out.

Once I started the meds, a lot of that anxiety went away because I could finally get a handle on my life. However, old habits die hard and I found myself still dealing with some horrible avoidance issues, so I also spent some time with a therapist doing cognitive behavioral therapy (and just some talk therapy, too). I highly recommend The Feeling Good Handbook by David Burns – this is self-directed CBT exercises that can help you get a handle on depressive/anxious thought patterns. I used this in between therapy sessions to help me identify and tackle anxious thoughts.

PS: Anyone telling you that you’re “too nervous” to be good at work is a jerk.

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

If the nervousness is caused by the ADHD, yes, medication can help. If the nervousness is anxiety that’s not caused by ADHD or untreated ADHD, then anxiety medication might be a better fit.

Anxiety Disorder: When Worry Is An Everyday Occasion

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Nathalie P.
      Participant

Well I am not an anxious person, just moving and talking much and fast. I have a job where it may be very important to calm people and relax situations so I can understand why I seem to not make a good job regarding that.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.