Tolerance of medication

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums FAQ Tolerance of medication

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Liam9638 3 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

Kirtas
    Participant

I was diagnosed with ADD last year and started on ritalinLD 20mg. I was told to expect tolerance to the medication and I am feeling that now. I know that my dosage can be increased but this can’t be done indefinitely. What then? Where do I go? What can I do? I can already see behaviours returning that cause me distress. I won’t be able to speak with my psychiatrist until the end of May which I plan to do but what options are there? Will regular therapy help. I am emotional and concerned. This website has been a huge help. I don’t feel so alone. So far I have only been given medication but not therapy.

Penny Williams
    Keymaster

You may find that you don’t develop a tolerance to an increased dose. Or you may need a different medication.

A Patient’s Primer on the Stimulant Medications Used to Treat ADHD

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Liam9638
    Participant

That’s right that I used a similar resource. You can use a free therapist, many therapists need practice, and there are professionals who help for free, try to search it on the Internet.

Dr. Eric
    Participant

Tolerance doesn’t increase linearly forever… it generally will level off.
    Every individual is different.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.