To medicate or not to medicate?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Symptoms, Diagnosis & Beyond To medicate or not to medicate?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Penny Williams
      Keymaster

This discussion was originally started by user Progress Not Perfection in ADDitude’s now-retired community. The ADDitude editors have included it here to encourage more discussion.

I was diagnosed with inattentive type ADD a couple weeks ago, and my doctor prescribed me meds already.  I’m wondering if anyone has had success with talk therapy alone, or are meds always necessary? Has anyone ever gone on meds and then gone off, or is it for life?  I just want to be thoughtful about this before I start taking new meds.  Thank you for your help.

Kevin Ju
      Keymaster

This reply was originally posted by user John Tucker, PhD, ACG. ADHD Coach in ADDitude’s now-retired community.

Sometimes meds are miraculous. Sometimes clients try them and then ditch them. Meds do not stay in your system so you can safely explore and then decide.

If you are leary of meds you can also try cleaning up your diet. That can work wonders.

Kevin Ju
      Keymaster

This reply was originally posted by user adhdmomma in ADDitude’s now-retired community.

It really depends on each individual and the severity of your ADHD if therapy and alternative treatments will be enough, or if you really need medication for your ADHD.

Here’s expert insights on this very question:
      https://www.additudemag.com/adhd-web/article/2050.html

Penny
      Moderator, Author & Mentor on Parenting ADHD, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Kevin Ju
      Keymaster

This reply was originally posted by user Lean~In in ADDitude’s now-retired community.

The lowest dose of generic Adderal plus Wellbutrin seems to work for me. BUT LET me positively say that Meditation, even 5 minutes a day, is of great use for when I notice the rise of scattered thinking (noticing when it begins). Do you recognize when you are starting to loose it?

*I find I take LESS of those medications now as the calming effect and focus provided by practicing meditation, exercising in the form of weeding the soil in preparation for a Spring garden and noticing my food intake provides for a calmer state of mind. No Fake food here!

It’s helpful to recognize and write it down, to help you remember and create a trail of breadcrumbs as to what REALLY works for you. We’re are all special, unique and life continues. It can be good. Let me salute YOU! in your search for wellness.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.