To ADA, or not to ADA?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults To ADA, or not to ADA?

Tagged: , , ,

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  julieolsonphd 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

brockkl
    Participant

So, I’m back. I have not thought about my ADHD for over 20 years, when I had to fight to get ADA accommodations for my daughter. That’s when I found out I have it too. I thought I was done with it, until my employer decided it’s time for all us computer weenies to get certified. I’ve been working on PCs since the mid 90s, and now I have to get certified. About $800 worth of tests, and If I pass I get reimbursed. If not I get fired. No pressure. So I’m looking into whether it’s going to be worthwhile to get accommodations via ADA. It’s only 6-7 years until I retire, so I’d rather coast it out if it’s all the same. Any legal types out there? Would I have to go back on stimulants to show I’m trying? I can’t take antidepressants, so Strattera and those type drugs are out. Antidepressants make me suicidal. I AM wired differently…
    These tests are entry level. I could probably walk in and ace those tests if my job didn’t depend on it.
    Has anyone had to deal with something like this?????

julieolsonphd
    Participant

Hi, as a psychologist, I would recommend that you get accommodations via ADA. I think in order to do that, you need a report from a psychologist with your diagnosis and recommendations regarding this requirement of tests. It may be that you get twice the amount of time to accomplish it. What else do you think would help? In what area are you? State, city. I can help you find someone to do it. Or, can you go to the person who diagnosed your daughter?

This issue is going to keep coming up in many areas when you need a test of some kind. Not just at work. Even if you changed jobs this could happen again. So, I think it is worth it.

Also, because it is the perception of a time limit that bothers you, and the fact that you could lose your job if you don’t pass, I would highly recommend looking at changing the pressure on yourself. Change your own perception. Visualize yourself doing it well and on time. As you said, you could ace it. Take the time limit off of yourself. It is just a matter of perception. Easier said than done, I know. Some test taking guided imagery apps might help.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.