Tics and ADHD

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      FantasticA
      Participant

hey guys, I have had tics since last April and I’ve researched that tic disorders go along with ADHD sometimes. Do any of you have tics? I am going to a neurologist to test to see if I have Tourette Syndrome. I am 16 years old.

SaltFoam82
      Participant

I don’t remember when it started but yes, I have a tic. I was told it’s probably from being on meds for so long. I’m almost 40 and have taken ritalin and adderal before. I’ve been on vyvanse for probably 8 years now. The meds work but there are side effects for sure. Luckily my tic isn’t terrible but it is there and I try to minimize it or dismiss it if someone notices.

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

It’s certainly possible to have a tic disorder with ADHD. Seeing a doctor to look into it further is a great idea.

Tic Disorders: Overview and Facts

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Coach & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Leigh Ann
      Participant

Hey FantasticA! My 6 year old son has several (more than 5) tics that accompany his ADHD diagnosis. The majority of them are audible; gasping, throat clearing, coughing, grunting, and moaning, but does have a few physical, as well (shoulder shrugging in combination with turning his palms up). I can only imagine how difficult it must be, at 16, trying to navigate life and peers, then have tics thrown in. My son was in his classroom a few days ago and was giving a book report and his tics were very much present. He had a classmate follow him and started making the same noises my son does to be funny. My son’s teacher put an end to it right away saying, “Making fun of someone is not allowed in this classroom. He was born this way and cannot help it, you, very much can.” I later found out that child lost points on his book report due to his mocking behavior. I wish you much luck with the neurological evaluation. I need to find a good pediatric neuro for my son.

• This reply was modified 10 months, 2 weeks ago by Leigh Ann.
Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.