They took my medication away!

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults They took my medication away!

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      NAMO
      Participant

I was on concerta and ritilin but they have not helped my blood pressure so my psych doc took me off of both. Now my house is a wreck and I can’t get anything completed. Anyone go thru this? What have you tried to make it work? I’ve made lists, get my sleep, all the right things but I find myself sitting on the couch and an afternoon has passed. That can’t keep happening!!

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

There are many treatments you can try in lieu of medication:

Can You Make It Without ADHD Medication?

There are also non-stimulant medications for ADHD that are less likely to increase blood pressure:

Your Full Menu of ADHD Treatment Options

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Author & Trainer on Parenting ADHD, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

AKBW
        Participant

I had taken Ritalin for years, worked great. Then I was about to turn 65 and my psychiatrist took me off due to “my age”. I don’t even have high blood pressure. She hinted slightly that it was the insurance company policy. Don’t know if that’s true. That was December of 2017 and I haven’t been the same since. I can’t get anything done, my bathroom and craft room are total messes, I keep falling asleep every time I am idle. I watch TV, I fall asleep. I read, I fall asleep. I have to wait in the doctors’ office, I fall asleep, I’m visiting with my mother in her nursing home and I take a nap on her bed! The Dr. put me on Nuvugil It’s synthetic. It doesn’t do a thing for me but I continue to take it in the hopes it will work. Has anyone else had to forfeit their ADD meds because of their age?

amy.katuska1
      Participant

That’s happened to me a couple of times, and honestly, I haven’t had to do anything to convince them to put me back on them. I simply can’t function on even the most basic day-to-day level without meds (for me, Adderall — I’ve tried Ritalin, Vyvanse, Strattera, Provigil, Wellbutrin, Abilify, Clonidine, and at least one other that ADDitude lists as an ADHD drug. Adderall has been the only one that’s make a worthwhile difference, and it has to be the immediate release, not the XR). The combination of that being evident to my psychiatrist and having another doctor of mine back me up on the risk vs reward was enough that she didn’t even hesitate starting me back up.

Have you tried counteracting the spike in blood pressure by exercising more, eating better (check out the DASH diet for hypertension), and, if you smoke cutting down?

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.