Therapy for ODD

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      ajsd
      Participant

So I spoke to my son’s Dr and he agrees my son is showing signs of ODD …and maybe behavioral therapy will help …BUT I have tried therapy before and it is basically an adult in the room asking my son questions and my son giving one word answers or them playing a board game or outside game with my son and again one word answers and I basically paid 20.00 for an hour of me reading …we have even tried interactive therapy for us together and that was a big bomb too …I have started reading The Explosive child and I think that could help me but last night I even just tried to ask him questions about his homework so I could help and BAM out came the yelling back talking and NO’s ending with the door slam and being told he wants a new mom ..which hurt me to no end and I basically cried the rest of the night out of hurt and just plain frustration
      I am wondering does anyone have any actual therapist that worked and what their methods were …I would literally have to bring one to my house at night or tape what happens in order to show them what REALLY happens

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

Kids with ADHD (and autism) often dislike being questioned. My own son won’t do family dinners anymore because he hates being questioned about his day (he’s about to turn 15, ADHD and autism). Homework causes a lot of arguments for us. If I don’t check that he did it, he won’t do it or he’ll try to get away with not completing it or not fulfilling the instructions entirely. I only check that it was done though, not the content — that helps to avoid a lot of arguments.

There’s a lot of finesse to Ross Greene’s collaborative problem solving (what he teaches in The Explosive Child). Here’s a free replay of an awesome webinar he did with ADDitude on parenting kids with ODD and ADHD:

Free Webinar Replay: ODD and ADHD: Strategies for Parenting Defiant Children

You didn’t offer your son’s age, but if he’s 10 or older, Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) could be really impactful. It’s much more systematic than play therapy (although play therapy can be very effective too).

How Cognitive Behavioral Therapy Works

Parent training can also be very effective.

I know what your son said to you was very hurtful. To survive this special parenthood, you have to learn to not take his behavior personally. His developmental delays, poor frustration tolerance, and weak emotional regulation are the reasons for his outbursts and hurtful actions, not that he actually wants a new mom. In those moments, you have to remind yourself that it’s not his heart talking at that time, but his disorder. I know it’s hard, believe me, but it’s crucial to your own self-care. And, it helps you remain neutral in these situations, which helps his behavior.

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Author & Mentor on Parenting ADHD, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

scarlett87
      Blocked

The most effective treatment plans are tailored to the needs and behavioral symptoms of each child. Treatment decisions are typically based on a number of different things, including the child’s age, the severity of the behaviors, and whether the child has a coexisting mental health condition…

• This reply was modified 3 years, 1 month ago by scarlett87.
      • This reply was modified 3 years, 1 month ago by Penny Williams.
      jhasselt
      Participant

I love what Penny said! My son is ODD and tries to get out of homework all the time, he will yell at me if I contact the teacher for missing assignments. He doesn’t have the foresight to see that he is hurting himself. I guess I have no real help on the therapy aspect, but wanted to let you know you’re not alone. Guanfacine ER has helped our son greatly, he’s not quite as quick to react to everything! GL!

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.