Therapists who specialize in Adult ADD?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Symptoms, Diagnosis & Beyond Therapists who specialize in Adult ADD?

Tagged: 

This topic contains 5 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Thumper 69 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

3Kats
    Participant

Brand new here. I’m struggling to find a therapist who specializes in Adult ADD and I’m losing hope. I’m located in Sarasota, FL, and have opened up my search far and wide without success. I realize it’s important that I sit down with someone who can help me cope with the my late diagnosis and the sense that I’ve wasted my life and it’s too late for me to really find my way. Does anyone here have any recommendations? I’ve looked at a lot of website directories, and it seems most of the therapists work with children and adolescents. Any help pointing me in the right direction would be so appreciated. Thanks.

Seeker
    Participant

I suffer from ADHD and my husband who has his masters in psychology has been telling me for years to find a therapist that practices cognitive behavioral therapy. I never really made an effort but I’m finally seeing how my ADHD directly contributes to my compulsive over eating And how for so many years I have spent thousands of dollars trying to arrest the eating issue when all along the root cause was the ADHD so I am more determined now than ever to find a cognitive behavioral therapist Of course it would be ideal to find one who also specializes in adhd and compulsive overeating but either way, I think the key is getting CBT Which is something you should be able to find. I wish you all the best. I completely relate to your struggles and pain and suffering regarding a wasted life time of dealing with this issue.

katycren
    Participant

I’ve never been officially diagnosed with ADHD, but reading about it since my son was diagnosed has shown me that my underachievement in high school and college (despite very high SAT and MAT scores), divorces, chronic lateness, non-stop talking, and lack of organization, etc., are the result of ADHD/ADD. I think I can still make progress despite my age, but, as this person has written, I need a therapist who specializes in ADD. I’m in GA and was wondering if there is a handbook or listing of therapists who are appropriate for us.

dmdhines
    Participant

I would LOVE to know of any Adult ADD therapists or coaches in Seattle/Bellevue Washington!! I’m at a place in my life where I am ready to add on
    CBT to my Meds. I also believe once I get more CBT tools in my Toolbox, I would benefit from an Organization Specialust as well! Any information y’all have would be GRATEFULLY APPRECIATED!

PS• THANK YOU FOR TAKING THE TIME TO KEEP THE CONVERSATION “Top of Mind” for so many on this site!!!!!!!

ADHDmomma
    Keymaster

ASk your primary care doctor for a recommendation.

You can also check the ADDitude Directory by location here: http://directory.additudemag.com/

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Thumper 69
    Participant

Agreed, cognitive behavioral therapy.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.