The Workplace and ADHD

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults The Workplace and ADHD

This topic contains 34 replies, has 21 voices, and was last updated by  ADHDmomma 5 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

Resilient2Day
    Participant

I was diagnosed with ADHD in October 2017 though I had always suspected it. I decided to seek whether or not I was right because I was messing up at work and not living up to my professional potential. I was told just a couple of weeks before the diagnosis that I to “get it together”. I agreed because I’m the type of person who is humbled and mature enough to hold herself accountable. I asked her to give me about a month knowing I was going to see a doctor. She said no, it had to happen faster than that. After the diagnosis, I inadvertently shared the diagnosis with her and another manager. I was told I should not have shared the information; but I felt it was necessary to shed light on what was happening with my work performance. Once my medication got tweaked I began feeling a difference (mid-December). Wow, what a difference Vyvanse makes! Anyway, it is now mid-January. In December I was able to begin creating ways to help me do better in job performance. I also had to fix the mess I had made for the past few months so I took some work home (got my hand slapped because it was against policy). After two deaths in my family in December, the holidays, traveling out of state for the funeral, and being out of work due to weather, I was greeted with a verbal reprimand about my work performance followed by a “coaching plan” a week later before I even had a chance to correct my mistake. Both managers claimed they didn’t know why I was not performing at the level they expected. This was not a true statement and I corrected them. They then said that I’ve been in my position long enough to be an expert; I reiterated the reason why I had not been able to but I was highly committed to fixing those problem areas. So I say all of this to ask and/or say that I feel I am being harassed due to my having ADHD. I was given two weeks from today with a long list of task to show improvement on or else. Is this not harassment/discrimination?

ADHDmomma
    Keymaster

Most experts recommend that you not share an ADHD diagnosis with your employer. While there are laws in the US to protect individuals with disabilities (ADA), it’s very easy for employers to create other reasons for poor job performance. Plus, it’s human nature that they’ll treat you differently and be hyperaware of looking for problems.

Here are a couple articles on your rights in the workplace:

Your Workplace Rights with ADHD

Is ADHD a Disability? Your Legal Rights at Work

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Author & Mentor on Parenting ADHD, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

zacbrown86.zb
      Participant

I managed to read all of your post but not the reply’s. I understand you circumstances totally & feel for you especially since you found out recently as an adult.
      You need to be in a position (another job to fall back on ) where you can tell them “F’ it” before taking any action along the discrimination road.
      Every industry is small and know body has your back in the workplace today.

I found it easier to deal with criticism before I knew I had ADHD. Now I Find I use it as an excuse in my own head first for rejection & not that I may have a problem in that area.

Good luck with your decision & make sure it’s your decision that you end up taking & not the advice from friends who only care for your feelings & not the reality of what people with Adhd go through.👌🍻. Good luck

Resilient2Day
      Participant

Hi Zacbrown,

LOL. Thank you for that advice and you’re right. I have to get to that position to say that in many ways without literally saying it. I’m working on it.

You’re also right about no one really having another’s back. We’ve become the golden definition of an individualistic society and it’s sad especially when I respected my higher reports only to realize that it was unjustly given.

trishalfaro
      Participant

I was seeking ADA rights – I could do the job just fine, but not necessarily in the order they wanted me to. I had to answer the phone and attend to clients needs – but as soon as I hung up, they would want me to set aside the previous client’s case and constantly be on the phone. 5-6 clients later NOBODY can remember all the details of a client’s case if you can’t write them down… and we’re talking about making changes in their accounts, sending out letters or paperwork to them and the other entity, sending faxes, and documentingg everything thing you said and did in detail. I simply asked if I could be allowed to do things in my own order. . my boss was gone for 3 days and I did things “my” way and kept track and my performance was up like 20%. It didn’t matter. Once I submitted my ADA REQUWST, they found multiple reasons to fire me before the papers could get processed in HR. I learned my lesson. Zip your lip.

Resilient2Day
      Participant

Hi Trish,
      That really sucks that we’re supposed to be protected by the ADA laws and yet the minds that are unwilling to comprehend what’s going on make us pay for their choice to be ignorant. I’m very sorry you had to go through that. It hurts my heart that anyone with a mental, emotional and/or physical challenge receives such insensitive treatment.

• This reply was modified 10 months, 3 weeks ago by  Resilient2Day.

Resilient2Day
      Participant

Thank you for the information ADHDmomma. I now know it was a huge mistake to inform my direct reports about my having ADHD, though it came from honest good intentions, these two women just don’t seem to care and it has caused a bit of stress. Instead of lying when asked what was going on, I tried to explain but again bad move…my bad.

whisperingwings
    Participant

Hi Resilient2Day,

I am also having a difficult time at work. My main problems are concentration and the nature of the work. It’s just too much noise and the sounds scatter my brain even more and everything becomes super boring. Do you like what you are doing? I told my managers that I have ADHD and dyslexia last year but they didn’t try to help me. I send them articles, YouTube vidoes and they didn’t take me seriously. It’s like I need blood pouring out of my body for people to try and understand how simple things to them are 5 times or more harder for me. Besides requesting accommodations, another reason I opened about my struggles is I thought this is a chance to spread public awareness. Society should try to understand us too. We try very hard everyday to follow their style (since this is the way most of the the world is run, cannot avoid it) and they should try to understand things from our point of views too. They should try to be ADHD sometimes than the world will not be so dull and umempathetic (maybe that’s not even a word). It’s not all bad. There’s actually many positive sides to ADHD and Dyslexia. There’s so much emphasis on diversity nowadays but most people miss the part about brain diversity. It’s not only a personal issue. This also affect society as a whole. I thought we should educate neurotypical about different way of seeing the world and learning. It doesn’t mean we are stupid or lazy. We try so hard everyday and they have to respect us too, try to stop treating us like we’re weirdos. Both ways should be respected (neutrotypical and our style). We can really thrive if we get some extra support at school or work. I thought giving them the information is a chance to change society even a little. But I learned that most people don’t care unless they have a family member who also have ADHD or Dyslexia. Their brains are too fixated on one way only. It will be take a long time for this to change….

Resilient2Day
      Participant

Hi Whisperingwings,
      You are so right about everything you pointed out. Those were my intentions as well; to educate but as you’ve said so wonderfully, they don’t want to learn. They don’t want to accept that just because it’s not visible doesn’t make it inaccurate. Drives me insane. So now, I get the subtle harassment and bullying. I’ve put some tools in place to help me so after it’s all said and done, I’m going to be the victor while they sit in their prideful ignorance. Diversity is not just about the color of one’s skin, or their cultural traditions or beliefs. Diversity comes in so many other areas. People are truly afraid to humble themselves to say, “there’s more than one perspective in this world than mine”.

socknoggle
    Participant

Penny,

Thanks for the information. I struggle at work, big time. When I was first hired I thrived. The projects were very short, just hours or a few days, and I could knock them out quickly. My reviews were very positive. But, the nature of my job changed, very much against my will. Now, the projects can extend over several months. My lack of long term planning ability, organizational skills and time management is killing me. My last review resulted in no yearly raise and left me feeling a little defeated. Review time is here again and I know it’s going to be bad. My company has classified me as a “low performer.”

I would love to find something to do that I love. Due to my status at I am ineligible to move to a different position. My boss understands that I’m not suited and has tried to get them to let me move, but it’s an HR policy.

I make a nice living at my job so I would have a hard time finding other work that is more interesting and fulfilling. I really don’t know what to do.

Todd

additup
      Participant

Dear Todd,

I’m in your shoes too. In fact, I’ve been there more times than I can count. Even though I take medication. This happened to me over the last year and a half at work; I was doing great, then not so much. My manager only understood how to work with a certain type of neurotypical brains, and so rather than try to learn and help me, he began to see me as the problem and, well, you know…

The lucky part of this for me, however, was that necessity is the mother of invention! (and discovery!) Because of the dire situations I faced, I was desperate to find a solution. Things that helped:
      – I started working with a therapist weekly on the workbook, “Managing Your Adult ADHD” to learn techniques for managing my symptoms (such as distractibility, time blindness, etc.) and was able to improve my performance substantially. I started to also accomplish more in my life outside of work.
      – I did lots of googling and discovered great resources like
      – ADDitude magazine (yay! you’re already here!)
      – How To ADHD YouTube channel (I cannot say enough good things about these videos. They are perfect and they were made for us!) https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-nPM1_kSZf91ZGkcgy_95Q
      – Job Accommodations Network: suggestions for ADHD accommodations in the workplace. https://askjan.org/media/adhd.html (this is a good one to give your manager if you decide to “come out” of the ADHD closet at work!

Some of the (many!) new habits I learned (yes, this was lots of hard work, and very humbling, but it was SOOOO worth it.)
      – Meditation
      – Keeping a calendar and notebook, and prioritizing my tasks in it every day, even if it’s just for 5 minutes.
      – Using timers. Also, using timers, timers, and timers. And did I mention timers?!! This helps both with those inattentive moments, and the hyperfocus moments, too.
      – Working out!!! I found out that doing at least 30 min of exercise in the morning made me WAY more effective. My attention span soars and I can keep track of things way more effectively.
      – I started meditating more (I used the Self-Esteem pack on the Headspace app, and it worked beautifully in terms of helping me be OK with failing— which you have to try to get at least somewhat cool with in order to win at this! I hear the “Acceptance” one is good too. BTW, there is a coupon you can google for 3 free months of the Headspace app.)

As I learned more about ADHD, I kept having all these moments where I realized, “Oh wow! That’s why I do that! And there’s a solution to it! Cool!”

The outcome of my journey was ultimately great.
      – Because of the changes in my habits that I made, I did my job more effectively WITHOUT losing who I am as a creative problem-solver (and all of the GREAT things that come with having ADHD). I even started finishing my work early!!! (This is a HUGE thing for someone who is almost always late and working on things down to the wire!)
      – I was able to win back the trust of almost all the coworkers who had been frustrated with me at some point or other. Projects were now a lot less stressful, and I was able to enjoy them.
      – I was depressed before, and now I’m not depressed. In fact, I’m actually hopeful for the future.
      – I’m now better at getting my work done and am excited about what I can now accomplish in my life.
      – I got to know myself better, and stopped feeling so guilty about my failures all the time. Instead of beating on myself, I can now access a place where I can forgive myself and come up with a new solution to try out. This takes me to a great cycle of “observe and experiment,” where you can learn so many things, so fast.
      – It dawned on me that I’m actually a pretty valuable person. Not just to my friends and family, but to companies that want to make money. And to myself.

Now, unfortunately, my boss was not one of the people whose trust I was able to win back. Even though he had to admit that I made improvements on all his negative feedback, he still fired me. But this time, instead of feeling hopeless and beaten down (which is how I felt the last time this happened), I now feel better than ever. I’m still searching for a job, but now that I know how to structure my time better, that’s not such a terrifying situation anymore.

In summary, I don’t knwo what your situation is exactly, and what things you’ve tried, but I want you to know that there’s hope. There are jobs (I’ve had them before!) with good managers who can see your value and appreciate your abilities. Success is absolutely a possibility for you; maybe even in this current job of yours! I mean, it was an unfortunate coincidence that my boss couldn’t update his opinion, but almost everyone else in my workplace did.

We know so much more about ADHD (and the human brain in general, for that matter!) now than we ever did before, and there are all kinds of things we can try and habits we can adopt, and there is a community of us out there that talks to each other.

I’m sending you (and anyone else who reads this who’s struggling at work) encouragement and love. Remind yourself that you are awesome, whether or not the people in your current workplace are capable of perceiving it, and keep trying; where there’s a will, there’s a way.

Resilient2Day
      Participant

HI Additup!

Wow! Such great advice and encouragement. I too am sorry that your former direct report could not see the error of his way of thinking. It sounds to me it was more personal than professional; but obviously, his loss because you won and won big!

I’m going to use some of your suggestions and see how they work for me. I truly appreciate your voice of encouragement and support. It’s greatly needed.

You should start a blog on supporting those of us who are climbing to where you are.

Take care!

mevondras
      Participant

It angers me that our corporate society values “performance,” but not those qualities that were once considered noble: honesty, loyalty, strong work ethic, personable, well-educated…

Performance is a shifting target in this world. Our strongest play is to convince the employer, based on your actual work record, that your own brand of “performance” is a major contributor to their “problem solving” agenda.

Ideally, I think that the “neurodiverse” should unite and form our own work agency, or business. So much talent is being fried by frustration, under-appreciation, being repeatedly kicked to the curb, and other scenarios that leave us frazzled, alone and unable to pay the bills.

The “anxiety and depression” that is so common among us is to some degree abated by the discovery that “I’m not the only one” out there who has experienced it. We have to envision a better kind of society and take steps to create it, together!

kearnsmill
    Participant

I experienced something similar in that my manager increased demands knowing of my ADHD diagnosis. I finally lawyered up and filed an EEOC (US) complaint. It was the best thing I’ve ever done! In mediation, they agreed to call the dogs off and let me function. I’d hesitated so long, fearing what would happen if this “good girl” went after the bosses and it turned out that it was the only thing that stopped the abuse. They had to take me seriously. The lawyer came to the mediation meeting and just her being there was enough to change the dynamic. She cost me $1200, and I probably ran up that kind of tab in the time it took to read my files, let alone her being there.

Evocati
      Participant

I completely understand how you feel. I’ve had several good jobs where having ADHD literally cost me my job no matter how hard I tried. At the time, I hadn’t been diagnosed so the level of anxiety and frustration at work was through the roof as I tried to be hyper aware of all my mistakes, which ended up with me just making more and, in some cases, even worse mistakes. Had I actually been diagnosed at the time, been medicated, and had some support from my boss, I believe I could have been incredibly successful, but no, I felt like a failure who was betrayed by their boss.

Absolutely the best possible thing you could have done was get a lawyer involved. The general population doesn’t understand this disability because it’s not visible to them (like missing a hand) and then when a mistake happens, they just think we’re incompetent or idiots. They don’t truly understand what it’s like to have 10 people talking to them all at once or the sudden irritability when they are engaged in a conversation. Or the constant anxiety about everything. Or an impulse so strong to do something that it feels like you’ll literally explode if you don’t do it.

We can explain it, but unless they have it, it will never make sense, therefore, they lack any understanding in relation to our lives. This disability may have been a boon as a hunter gatherer where being hyper-focused on a task (hunting and not dying as an example) may have made one more successful, but we don’t have to worry about our salads eating us anymore.

Props to you for having the courage to stand up for yourself and telling them to btfo.

whisperingwings
    Participant

Did you ever experience retaliation after bringing in a lawyer? What are some of your biggest challenges at work before? I complained to HR but my workload increases.

eulippia
    Participant

In 2007, at age 47, I was diagnosed with ADD. I had abandoned pursuit of a college degree 25 years before, thinking I was lazy and unfocused. Of course those of you who have a late diagnosis know what happens to your psyche once you have been diagnosed and a treatment regimen is successful. After a year of seeing how the treatment affected my work and other endeavors, i decided to return to college.

I successfully applied for re-entry to Rutgers University Newark campus. This was the Spring 2009 semester. In the Fall 2009 semester, I sought accommodations. I was not, nor am I now clear on what accommodations I am entitled to with my diagnoses (I was further diagnosed with depression in 2009). I signed all clearances and releases. I got my medical records and submitted them. I submitted to the required intake interview. I even entered into counseling with the campus counseling center.

The counseling turned out to be totally inappropriate for me. It was psychotherapy. He asked questions about my childhood, my growing up, my marriage. This was the predominance of my sessions. I felt like every weekly session was designed to disrobe and send me out feeling naked and exposed. At one point my counselor told me that he was trying to figure out what my problem was. He said that I seemed like a nice guy. Why could i not just get it together and do what I needed to do to accomplish my goal of graduation and teacher certification? You see, despite my faithful application to my medical regime, the rigors of the academic pursuit exposed how I was still subject to the symptoms of ADD and depression. They were yet disaffecting my academic performance.

Every semester I asked about my application for accommodations. I asked the intake counselor. He said that it was with the counseling center. I asked the counseling center. They told me that it was in the office of the dean that was supposed to handle accommodations. I called her office. They had no record of me. I went back to the counseling center, they said it was with the dean.

This went on until May 2013, when I barely graduated with a 2.5 GPA. In New Jersey, the minimum GPA for teacher certification is 2.75, and that GPA requires a substantially higher score on the subject matter PRAXIS exam. I never got the accommodations. I still do not know, have never been officially briefed on what accommodations could have helped me as I struggled through, not intellectually, but psychologically. I would be late for class. I would get demerits for this. Eventually the futility set in and I would not even try. I always felt embarrassed. Once again I felt like I was lazy and unfocused. I eventually did get competent counseling, but it was too late. The damage had been done, and Rutgers still had not authorized accommodations. I would tell professors about my situation. Some were sympathetic. Some were not. They all wanted me to get official documentation from the accommodations office, which despite my cooperation and being reassured that there was nothing else for me to do, was not forthcoming.

I then successfully applied to a graduate program at Rutgers. This only lasted three semesters, at which time I was asked to leave the program, because the same symptoms were happening. At times I would try too hard and that would be my destruction. All in all, I have $150,000 in school debt and no way to pay for it. I cannot become a substitute teacher, because the last semester at Rutgers was unfunded, because I was taking only undergrad courses. I did not realize that these classes would not improve my undergrad GPA. This last semester was when I finally got an ostensible response from a letter to the University president who expressed shock and promised to address my situation. That turned out to be merely a game of CYA. When I realized all of this, I withdrew. Although I informed the dean who the president directed to work with me, I was yet considered as officially withdrawing too late and thus liable for the semester tuition. This resulted in a financial hold on my transcripts. So much for at least gaining classroom experience, building rapport and demonstrating my competence by serving as a substitute teacher.

I filed a complaint in 2011 with the state and in 2015 with the federal government. The state never officially responded. The U.S. Department of Education officially denied my complaint citing untimeliness and failure to follow through with the Rutgers process. I told the investigator that I had. She was apparently told that I had not. I learned eventually that my file was found in the counseling center. They had never forwarded it to the dean that handled accommodations.

I am pressing on. I drive for Lyft. I am working to get my photographic artwork on exhibit and sold. I am working on recording and producing a CD of my many music compositions. I am also working on getting a Commercial Driver License. I have a real estate instructor license. Once I clear the CDL, and especially if I get a job, I will next seek to get a continuing education course approved by the real estate commission. I already have the continuing education endorsement on my instructor license. I have concluded that I need to avoid as best I can any employment that requires a rigid schedule and involves mindless repetition.

I don’t know what to do. My life, and i do not say this with utter hopelessness, is ruined. I am worse off now than I was in 2009. I had $0 debt of any kind, save a tax debt due to my real estate sales success that has since been extinguished. Now I have $150,000 in debt. Everybody I talk to says that Rutgers’ refusal to provide accommodations was illegal discrimination. Yet, no one in authority to do so has helped me. I used to really believe in the system, that I was protected from this sort of thing. New Jersey has the most comprehensive anti-discrimination laws in the country, save California. In my real estate pre-licensing courses, I would emphatically urge pre-licensees to take this very seriously, because I do know how at least fair housing cases have been addressed. Now I believe it is all window dressing and that if you are not of the most favored current protected group you are, well, not protected. It is Animal Farm all over again. All protected classes are equal. ..but some are more equal than others.

Is anyone willing to help me?

mrm0717
    Participant

You might want to contact an attorney who specializes in employment law. Good luck.

ADDLobstah
    Participant

You are going to be OK. You have a tremendous amount of self-knowledge and a ton of learned skills.

What do you want to do? Degrees matter a lot less than they did even 10 years ago. Think of it like an Oscar nomination. Forever after the performers who don’t win are identified as “Academy nominated actor/actress.”

You were accepted and studied at friggin’ Rutgers! Do you know how few people are capable of doing that? Damn few.

What do you want to do? What are you good at? What will people pay you for? Find that out and find a company looking for talent. Offer to come in as a contractor or intern and prove your self. Just be sure it’s something you care about. Otherwise it will be way harder.

anomalocaris
    Participant

I don’t think it would fly in a discrimination suit or harassment suit. They are treating you like any other employee. They’re not harassing you because you have ADD. They’re treating you exactly as they would treat any other employee who isn’t getting the job done. When you took work home, you were deliberately violating company policy, and they responded in the same way they would respond to any other employee who did the same. And they’re understandably frustrated with the fact that (from their point of you) you seem to be making excuses. The first thing an employee should do would be to advise the employer (in writing) that the employee has been diagnosed with a disability that may require accommodation in accordance with ADA, and request a formal meeting in order to discuss what accommodations might be reasonable. That way, everyone’s on the same page.

The employer is required to make reasonable accommodation for a disability, but this needs to be established in a formal meeting, where employer and employee sit down together and discuss what accommodations are necessary for the employee to do the job. An employer is not required to make accommodations that cost the company undue time or money. is only required to make reasonable accommodation (such as allowing an office change if the current office is too noisy to focus). Taking work home might seem to be a reasonable accommodation, but it’s more serious than most employees realize. It amounts to unpaid time, and the company can get in serious legal trouble over it, if the employees involved receive an hourly wage. The employer is not required to simply give an employee a pass on missed deadlines and unfinished projects, because these kinds of things affect other employees and cost the company time and money.

Resilient2Day
      Participant

On paper it appears that they are treating me like any other employee but in person, that’s not the case. I completely and responsibly owned up to what I did by taking the work home. The fact that I am hourly is the biggest issue because salaried employees take work home all the time. There was a memo that came out from the top stating that now it is up to the discretion of the department lead to permit working from home no matter who it is; but of course once I requested to do it from time to time especially during inclement days, it was denied. I have been lied on as well. It may not be discrimination, but I definitely experiencing harassment. I’ve gone through it before and recognize the behavior. Though my intentions were pure to not only helping myself and those I report to, it fell on deaf ears.

Peregrine
    Participant

First of all, I’m not an expert in anything below is based on personal experience and consequent biases.

That said, Congratulations on your ADHD diagnosis! Welcome to the club, it kind of sucks. To make things worse medication is not a cure-all, and even with stimulants, we still have ADHD. Which I like to view less as a disease and more as a statement of my physiology that manifests itself in every aspect of my life. I’ve been diagnosed for 6 years and I’m still trying to find ways to act like a normal person, and to keep up at work. I genuinely hope its easy enough for you to do so in a month!

“I was given two weeks from today with a long list of task to show improvement on or else. Is this not harassment/discrimination?” How is it? Your employer wants you to be an effective employee, they’ve even gone through the trouble of making a list, and giving you some time to improve, albeit not that much time. In my world, a list and a deadline are gold for motivation, its the things without deadlines or that have no structure that I never seem to make any progress on.

It’s easy to think that they are targeting you because of ADHD or whatever. Ultimately, we’re not excluded from being accountable, as you seem to realize, just because our brains work differently than other people’s.

From an employer’s perspective,
    – Employee A gets paid X to produce Y, but is only producing Y-Z.
    So they ask how can we fix this?
    – Option A: try to help employee Y to increase their productivity.
    – Option B: Replace employee Y with some random new employee that we hope will eventually be more effective.
    From their standpoint letting you go and finding someone else is not very appealing, especially if you have the potential to improve. From the little you’ve said, they’re giving you a chance, so why not own it?

With me it’s usually either hyper-focus, impossible to start, or impossible to stay on track. So, if you dislike what you do for a living so much that you can never focus on it, maybe you should look at a career change? It’s not realistic to think we can do a job that we don’t like doing.

Don’t give up! and don’t let the wrist slaps get you down. Just own your productivity, in all likelihood, your employers don’t care that you have ADHD, and they probably don’t even know what that is or means. They just want you to perform at their expectations. If their expectations are unreasonable, have a conversation with them. If that doesn’t work, then maybe you don’t want to work for them anyways?

In the words of some Greek dude “Know Thyself”!

Best of luck!

• This reply was modified 10 months, 3 weeks ago by  Peregrine.

chaunabrocht
    Participant

From my experience as a manager, I think you should explore talking directly to your HR department (since you already told your boss you have ADHD, your manager not knowing is not an option at this point). Most HR departments want to avoid discrimination cases and will be more likely to work with you re: accommodations than will your manager. Best of luck to you.

Resilient2Day
      Participant

Hi there.

I did go to HR after my diagnosis. I also got slapped with a management plan and was told it was a recommendation from HR. Interesting? Yes, I know.

SandyDandy1968
    Participant

I wasn’t aware that adhd was a disability. I’ve had it since childhood, but it never stopped me from performing any tasks. Other than lack of focus from time to time. Adhd has proven helpful many times in being a hair designer. I often think outside the box and can offer insight that others may not see.

socknoggle
    Participant

According to the ADA, ADHD can be considered a disability if you meet certain criterion. For people in the creative arts it might not be a problem. For people like me who work in areas which require organization and long range planning, it can be a big issue.

SandyDandy1968
      Participant

I had no idea. I am new to this community and don’t have many ADDers to compare notes with. Adhd was quite problematic for me as a student, but over the years I’ve been able to keep focus better, but I still have my off times when I get over-loaded with “noise”. I am hoping to learn more from fellow add/adhd folk. Bright blessings.

zacbrown86.zb
    Participant

Mate I was stood down from work from a random drug test from a false positive for Methanphetamine (ICE) because of the Vyvance & Dexamphetimine ADHD medication which I had Scripts for & declared my use before the testing.
    As I am a rigger working with high risk equipment they escorted me off site and was stood down for further testing I was cleared by the drug testing pathology after 48hrs but due to the Site Safety & HR lack of knowledge in ADHD & Vyvance. It took 4 weeks for me to get on site.
    This was a 12 week Turbine shutdown.
    I was labeled a drug user amongst my friends & My wife’s food business suffered from the local chitchat.
    I could go on about the emotional suffering & near divorce but in the courts there’s know proof of how this adversely affects my wellbeing.
    My union clearly stated to me don’t bother you will loose more money & stress then what you have.
    Discrimination doesn’t apply to white male’s at the moment as this is not the year for it.

Nor should we resolve to lawsuits as I feel there’s know body better then rising above and meeting demands then people with Adhd
    We kick ass at beating competition.

leswebb56
    Participant

I’ve known of my ADHD for 20 years and just recently discovered Dyscalculia (dyslexia with numbers) which affects ones ability to do math (in head), time, distance, direction and number recall. Guess what I’ve been struggling to do for the past year…
    Making reservations for bus trips, relaying time, dates, addresses to clients. In a noisy, cluttered, bullying office.
    I sunk into a deep pit most of the year and was living with a critical/judgmental roommate. I spent all my time in my room and sleeping. Now that the roommate is gone I have been able to do some self healing and discovery. I have been overjoyed to find out the source of my issues yet working hard towards finding ways to forgive myself and concentrate on the future.
    My supervisor knows of my ADHD and the RX has helped to an extent. Finding out about Dyscalculia, I was ready to share, to explain my poor performance. I rank high in call volume yet make lots of mistakes! I find my brain freezing up…and forget what I was doing or say the wrong thing. I get such a brain fog! There are clients that refuse to deal to me and co workers that snicker and laugh at me. I want to yell….my brain can’t handle all these numbers! But people being who they are don’t want to understand and assume I am making excuses for myself. I am only now confident enough to apply for other jobs and just had an interview that was great! Even if I don’t get the job the confidence and self esteem I gained was worth it!
    I am looking for support and encouragement to find my way out of the pit I’ve been in.
    Thanks!

mevondras
      Participant

ZacBrown, your anecdote above gets me thinking that those of us with ADD must counter every injustice with bold, confident and positive PR for ourselves. Certainly this is easier said than done, but the approach certainly works in politics. Repeatedly restate your story’s key theme, which here would be “prescription medicine invalidates the test result, and this first test must be struck from the record, or you’ll hear from my lawyer!”

If you ever find yourself in front of a workplace drug test, you should enlist the support of the doctor who prescribes your Vyvance,and maybe even contact the manufacturer, with a brief written statement certifying that your prescription is known to invalidate basic drug testing protocols, etc.. Our prescriber should be an alliance that legitimizes our truth, and inserts some counterweight to the employer’s closed information loop. I doubt that you are the only person whose employment was screwed up because of such a false positive: there’s power in numbers!

zacbrown86.zb
    Participant

We have very good opportunities to advance our ability for success, all the greatest had ADHD but they didn’t live in a society full off stigma towards ASHD because this was really only a thing in the 80,s right? I’m born 86.
    Even our specialist say there’s a part of the brain that’s not firing up …& so on…
    I do believe that the medication has helped me controll my thinking 💭 a little better. But only to suit the demands of someone else, now I don’t want to loose said person but everyone else can get F’D to an extent.
    I miss my old self I miss knowing I was different from them but not caring how they felt when I said something outrageous or over the boundaries of exceptance.

Please if your stuck in a deadline job or climbing the ladder environment I guarantee you that the highest up will be on Adhd medication. And is why most of the time come down hard on someone who has ADHD.
    THERE IS A WAY OUT OF EVERY SITUATION.

We were the ones who said to the tribe “there’s more & I can do it!” We are leaders we are strong & now we are made to feel like a forum is our safe place…. it’s not right but I’m here sending love and a box 📦 of wake ups so if your playing the victim or are a victim it’s not your fault but wake up and fight for your life & please don’t put your children on medication because school said they won’t sit still or focus.
    They are the future to tell the tribe I can do that so move over.!!!!

Careyokey911
    Participant

You know in all likelyhood the truth is you likely have more than enough potential to not only succeed in your position but could very well show up these biotches and do their jobs better than then combined, and they know it. Its a workplace game all to often played and they pick on anyone not keen to it because if you only knew what they really do all day…which my guess is not much thats why they seem to have all this time to pick on you and give you ultimatums and see how high they can get you to jump, which by the way they do just for kicks. Adhd or no adhd it doesnt matter no matter what you do it will not be good enough for them because then their game would be over.
    Time to find a better place and or company to work for imho.
    You deserve better than this!!!

Morgaen01
    Participant

Does anyone know what the law is in South Africa?

csil
    Participant

Are there any suggestions of kind of positions and ccareers that are better suited to adults with ADD? I feel like a square peg forced into a round hole. Overwhelmed on a daily basis and feeling like I am step away from a firing. The job gets tougher to do. I do not love the kind of job I do. Any suggestions would help. My background is 34 years in the insurance industry.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 1 week ago by  csil.
    • This reply was modified 5 months, 1 week ago by  csil.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.