The smoke is gone but now in a fog

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults The smoke is gone but now in a fog

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      rtistics
      Participant

Hello all. I am a 37 year old who was diagnosed ADD when I was 14. I did not do much with that diagnosis until a couple years ago. I finally decided to accept it and start treating it. That decision changed my life. For over a year, I have been taking 54mg of Concerta. I have soared at work. I work from home on a flex schedule, yet I am almost always finished with work at 5pm. My evenings and weekends had been so carefree.

In Dec of 17, I decided to quit smoking. I have smoked daily for 23 years. Over the next 2 months, I saw a decline in my focus.

I met with my doctor and he asked if I would be willing to try Cotempla. He put me on a double 25.9mg dose. So, it is slightly less than what I was taking with Concerta. It has been about a month now. Every day I feel like I am getting closer and closer to how I felt prior to when I started treating this a couple years ago.

With the Cotempla, I seem to get a burst of focus first thing in the morning. Then by noon I am in a fog. I am not able to focus on any one thing. Now, I am having to make up for lost time in the evenings and weekends. I eventually manage to get things accomplished, but I feel behind in both work and my personal life all the time. That is a feeling that had previously plagued me my entire life.

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

It sounds like the smoking was some self-medication and may have been kind of supplementing the medication. Of course, not smoking anymore is absolutely the best choice. 😉

It does sound like you do well on methylphenidate-based stimulants, but Contempla simply may not be the right medication for you. Keep in close contact with your doctor on the positives and negatives. At some point, if the benefits just aren’t adequate, you may need to try a different medication again.

The manufacturers give both Concerta and Contempla a possible duration of 12 hours. It sounds like Contempla’s time-release mechanism may not be as smooth, since you’re noticing bursts and then wearing off way too soon. Dr. Charles Parker has some interesting insights on what could be causing medication not to last long enough in some individuals, outlined in this article:

Is Burn Rate Making Your ADHD Medications Less Effective?

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Author & Mentor on Parenting ADHD, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

pintsnpurls
      Participant

I echo the point that removing nicotine from your daily routine means you’re losing a stimulant. (The first time I had a cigarette was the first time I had a clear mind for even a few minutes. It was amazing! Congrats on quitting, by the way. I quit over a year ago, but I only smoked regularly for a few years. I can’t imagine giving it up after more than half of your lifetime!) I have no real advice outside of “try something different since Cotempla isn’t doing the job,” advice which is based only on my experience of finding the right meds cocktail for my bipolar disorder. Good luck!

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.