The Judge and the jury

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults The Judge and the jury

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      ivry321
      Participant

I finally had my day in court yesterday or at least I was able to voice my opinion of this hideous ADD condition. 5 out of 5 physicians say I am not able to go back to work due to the ADD and Bi-polar. I finally was seen by a judge to decide if I was to become permanently disabled from this stuff we call ADD bipolar depression.
      I claimed back to 2013 and he asked me an interesting question which I am sure all you out there that are somewhat baffled at times would be interested in.

The question was this. What happened in 2013 that made you stop working why then?

I told him I did not plan it, a matter a fact I started blogging back then and getting into web development as well as composing music. The music I was composing was backing brain entrainment exercises. These brain entrainment exercises can have annoying tones so I added music to soothe some of the irritation of the tones. Afterall Brainentrainment is to help you focus, relax, sleep better and many other benefits that come with it. Not irritate the listener.

By 2017 I still haven’t really established a website and this is when I thought something is really off here. I thought that as a kid and now a grown man in his 50’s.

I told him I have been suffering from this stuff my whole life I was just fed up enough to ask some questions than to find out, it takes more than drugs and occasional self-talks to deal with this ADD and Bipolar. I started going to counseling and that’s when things started to change. Not necessarily get better just I have become more aware that I have this serious ailment and most days I can do no more than accept where I am at.

They also had an occupational therapist at the hearing and he said there were no jobs for me. To be honest with you I would be shocked if they turned down my disability claim.

Has anyone else here gone through this disability process what was your outcome? How did it make you feel?

Thanks for reading

Dave

amznwmn
      Participant

Hi Dave,

I went through it the disability process. It wasn’t so much that the process made “me” feel one way or another; rather I walked away outraged and wondering how the judge got to be in a position of judging ADHD disability claims because she very clearly had a preconceived idea of what “disabled” looks like. And because I am tall, have all my limbs, was a single mother at the time and was buying my house, plus I was fairly attractive, I didn’t fit the “disabled “ mold.

In her opinion, because I read geology books for pleasure, I wasn’t disabled. Because I did some remodeling work on my house that took me years to complete (when it would have taken a normal person a couple of weeks), I wasn’t disabled. Even though I had literally been fired from every job I ever had (over the course of almost 40 yrs), I wasn’t disabled. I had 3-4 letters from friends describing my inabilities to focus or complete daily tasks, but she opined that the letters didn’t deserve any credence because they were based on what she called “self-reporting”, I.e. my complaining rather than my friends’ observations (which was incorrect). She suggested I would benefit from vocational rehabilitation, but failed to comprehend the fact that there was a voc rehab report in my file and that I had already gone through their retraining program. But because I have an extremely high IQ, I couldn’t possibly be disabled.

There was an occupational therapist at my hearing as well, but she said the jobs available to me were as a “garment sorter” or a worker at a cannery! Are you kidding me?!? I was a litigation paralegal for over 20 years and had trouble focusing, and she seriously thought I could maintain a job as garment sorter???

It was very clear that her opinion was extremely prejudicial and she clearly didn’t understand the struggles of someone with ADHD, nor did she bother to learn.

I sincerely hope that you have better luck than I did, and I strongly urge you to appeal any decision that is not in your favor.

ivry321
      Participant

Hi ,

Thanks for your response.

I won my case and there was an occupational therapist there also but he said there were no jobs for me. If you want to refile I’ll give you some tips. Sounds like your a serious contender.

Dave

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.