teen newly diagnosed – medication input needed

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Treating Your Child teen newly diagnosed – medication input needed

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      jabl
      Participant

Our son who is 16 was recently diagnosed with ADHD inattentive type and the search for the proper medication is certainly a challenge as I read many experience. It is really overwhelming. He tried Concerta and Vyvance. He experience different side effects with both including irritability, sleeping more, stress, anger,difficulty starting a task (even more than before meds). Any benefit appears to be negligible. It is hard to see him not be himself and see him struggle so. His pediatrician started him on Intuniv at bedtime. He took his first dose last night.

My main question is how common or have other kids/teens unable to take the stimulant medications, but were able to find meds that worked for their child? If so, what worked? I know each child is different, but I really need some good news and direction, please. You specific stories can help.

Thank you!

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

Every individual responds differently to ADHD medications because their effectiveness depends on individual traits — metabolism, genetics, and neurochemistry.

The standard best care practice in prescribing ADHD medication is to start at the lowest dose and increase only if and when needed. Sometimes, things get worse on too low of a dose and then do well when the dose is increased. Sometimes doing poorly on the lowest dose is showing that it isn’t the right medication at all. It’s a process of trial and error. You need a physician who understands these medications thoroughly and has a lot of experience with them for the best results.

A Patient’s Primer on the Stimulant Medications Used to Treat ADHD

How Do ADHD Doctors Titrate Medication?

Plus, it takes more than just medication for optimal results. A combination of medication and therapy show the best results.

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Coach & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

ChaseII
      Participant

I am 47 and recently diagnosed add attentive. I started on adderal and, apart from the type of medication it is, it makes a very noticeable difference. ADHD did not exist when I was young. I wonder what my life would be like. I hope your kid is interested in learning more about it and how to mitigate the problems it creates. Medicine really helps me. And changing some behaviors helps. My side effect is appetite. But I am very good and diet focused so it has not been a problem yet. It feels good to be able to think clearly for once.

jabl
      Participant

Thank you Penny for all the information and links. We have used and continue to use behavioral modifications to help our son.

He was started on a low dose of the two different stimulant medications and every 5 days the dose was increased. No noticeable benefit was seen from the first one, but the side effects were too much to continue (per the doctor). With the second one, he also took a low dose and it was increased every 5 days. Some similar and some different side effects were observed and experienced. The doctor said to stop. A two-day break was taken and only during that time did my son realize that there was a slight benefit of the second medication that allowed him to focus more.

I truly would like to understand if others experience benefit on ONLY non-stimulant medication. Is this an appropriate question to ask? Where could I ask this question to gain the knowledge of the Community?

Thank you

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.