Teen & Homeschool: lessons are more boring now

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums School & Learning Learning Challenges Teen & Homeschool: lessons are more boring now

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      schugens@yahoo.de
      Participant

Hey there from the Netherlands

as we approach our next month of homeschool, i see the motivation of my 14 year old to join the zoom meetings for school at home decline.
      He complains lessons are much more boring now, since teachers mainly send information, and there is almost no interaction.

I started with some reward system to look out to the end of the day, but has anyone some ideas on how i can help him keep concentrated even when there’s more “sending” than interaction? i could imagine the same problem arizes when college starts, so we might as well tackle it now already 🙂

Thanks
      Sandra

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

The ADHD brain is motivated by interest and urgency. Something boring is super hard for an individual with ADHD to concentrate on. Is there any way you can make it more interesting for him?

Secrets of Your ADHD Brain

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Coach, Podcaster & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

schugens@yahoo.de
      Participant

hi Penny,

thanks for your reply. how to make it more interesting for him, thats what i am looking for. so if you could point me into some directions of braingames he could do, or learning strategies, that would be great

Thanks
      Sandra

Penny Williams
        Keymaster

I would try to find more fun or engaging ways to learn the material he is required to learn. For instance, for science, MythBusters episodes or Bill Nye videos cover many science topics, and there are other fun and engaging science channels on Youtube. For social studies, my son engages with the School of Rock animated videos, even as a high schooler. It’s mostly content about U.S. though, so not sure how helpful that one would be.

There are also lots of apps on a variety of subjects.

And can some lessons be done hands-on at home?

For reading, try audiobooks.

And with everything, let him move. School doesn’t have to be done at a desk.

Penny
        ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Coach, Podcaster & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.