Taking things that belong to others

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Behavior & Discipline Taking things that belong to others

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      HelenY
      Participant

I am parenting my granddaughter age 11. She is on meds and bi-weekly therapy. She has long been an impulsive taker of things that don’t belong to her. This has escalated – last week she took candies belonging to her teacher. Today I discover she has taken candies from my bedroom that she is not permitted to go into without permission. Both of these required planning and forethought. They were not impulsive – see it and take it moments. Any advice on how to deal with this?

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

Lying is very common for kids with ADHD, and this is closely tied to that.

The Truth About Your Child’s Lies

The Truth About Your Child’s Lying

Positive parenting is so much more effective than traditional discipline for kids with ADHD:

Positive Charge: How to Reinforce Good Behavior

Free Parent Resource: ADHD Discipline Strategies

The ADHD Parent’s Soul Shine Kit

It sounds like candy is her kryptonite. How about letting her earn candy for meeting behavior goals? Then, the forbidden candy won’t be so overwhelmingly tempting.

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Author & Mentor on Parenting ADHD, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.