Symptoms Getting Worse

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      socknoggle
      Participant

I was diagnosed when I was 36 and am now 56. I’ve had some success with medication, but went off it for years. I started taking Concerta, 36mg/day, a few months ago. According to my wife, it has only made my symptoms worse. I do notice some things myself. I’m more hyperactive, my executive functions are going downhill, my emotional self regulation is almost non-existent, my impulsivity is off the charts and I can’t seem to remember anything. Last week I had a huge anxiety meltdown when we had a mis-communication about what to pick up for dinner. I’m tempted to ditch the meds.

Has anyone else ever come across this?

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

Concerta may not be the right medication for you anymore. Or, the dose may be too small (too low a dose of stimulant can actually make your symptoms worse, not better).

A Patient’s Primer on the Stimulant Medications Used to Treat ADHD

And, aging affects ADHD symptoms as well.

Inside the Aging ADHD Brain

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Author & Mentor on Parenting ADHD, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

socknoggle
      Participant

Thanks, Penny. Interesting articles. I took Concerta for a long time years ago with great success, but now it seems to be making things worse. I don’t think my family doctor knows much about it. I guess I’ll have to look for someone who does.

Nik79
      Participant

Hi socknoggle. I feel exactly the same. After diagnosis and medication of elvanse 60mg per day and a brief spell of feeling better I can only handle one part of my life correctly and the others fall apart. No control over temper, emotions, anything. I feel the need to drink just to sleep and rarely hyperfocus on anything constructively. It’s all a mess and all around me are distancing themselves from my regular fallout. I sometimes wish I never had a diagnosis. Yes I was similar before but I had my own ways to cope. They no longer work.
      I hope you feel better soon.
      Nik

socknoggle
      Participant

Thanks, Nik. I did make an appointment with the neuropsychiatrist who diagonsed me. I’m hoping he can make some recommendations for meds and maybe therapy. Meanwhile, I’ll keep working on educating myself in a effort to understand myself better and find tools/methods for coping.

Barbf
      Participant

Hi, snocknoggle, love your name, btw.
      ditto above regarding not enough or not the right meds.
      Also, has you Vitamin D and irons been checked? both can affect our symptoms, AND, how is your sleep? untreated apnea creates sleep deprivation, which shares 80% of symptoms with AD/HD. as well as other significant health risks. our aging brains (I’m 58) can’t cope as well with poor sleep, so a sleep study may be in order as well.I had a sleep study and started use of C-Pap before Dx of AD?HD, and it did help an awful lot with emotionality, memory and cognition. but I still need meds.
      All best to you!

socknoggle
      Participant

Hi Barb,

I take vitamin D suppliments every day. I think my iron is okay. I was diagnosed with sleep apnea many years ago. I had surgery for it that did not work long-term. I can’t tolerate a C-PAP. My wife sells essential oils and has one she has me apply to my nose before going to bed. It keeps me from snoring. However, I have been having a lot of problems staying asleep. Today I woke up at 2 AM and couldn’t fall back to sleep. Yesterday it was 1 AM. This has been happening sporadically for months. I have no idea why I’m waking. Very annoying.

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.