Switching to Adderall

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Sarah Tobin
      Participant

I have a 13-year-old son with pretty severe ADHD. He has been on Concerta for years – most recently 63 mg. We’re seeing new healthcare professionals who conducted GeneSight testing to help determine which meds would be most effective for his DNA type. They recommended starting Adderall. He took 5 mg/day for the first 3 days which didn’t do a thing for symptom control. The last two days, he has been on a 10 mg dose which still seems to be ineffective. Does anyone else have experience coming off Concerta and going on Adderall? How long does it take to work? What sort of dose would be likely to work? Our psychologist is on vacation…

Any advice would be much appreciated. Need to get him properly medicated before he starts 7th grade in 2 weeks. Thanks in advance.

carrie.jones
      Participant

Sarah,
      I have a son on Adderall as well. He has been on it about a month now. I encourage you to give it time (at least 2-3 weeks) before making a decision about it. I have a couple of reasons for this. Number one: I thought my son was acting worse on the meds than without (or at least as challenging on a good day) when he first started the medication. Number two: Your son’s body/brain is very busy right now – adjusting to a change in medication (coming off of one and starting another), probably dealing with some hormonal changes/puberty, and there is the looming idea of school starting again. With all of this taken into consideration, I encourage you to give the Adderall some time to get in his system and do its work. It has done wonders for my son and I hope it can do the same for yours over time.

Sarah Tobin
        Participant

Thanks for your message Carrie. He’s definitely going through puberty too. Lots going on at once – poor kid. What dose did you end up with? I assume you’ve had a good result as you’re still on Adderall. Any advice appreciated. Definitely will give it more time. The only problem is that he starts middle school in less than two weeks and I need his meds to be stable by then. Very frustrating given we started the journey to changing meds at the beginning of summer.

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

ADHD stimulant medication is very individualized. Dosage depends on neurotransmitter needs, metabolism, and genetics of each individual. So, the dose of Adderall that works for one child may likely not work at all for another. Here’s a really thorough primer on ADHD medication that explains this and more:

A Patient’s Primer on the Stimulant Medications Used to Treat ADHD

You have to take the Genesight results with a grain of salt. These tests only determine which medications an individual might be genetically predisposed to have a bad reaction to. The test doesn’t account for any other factors that determine the efficacy of ADHD medication for a particular individual. My son has had rare and severe reactions to SSRI’s tried to treat his anxiety over the years, as well as some stimulants. When these tests hit the market I was very eager to try it and see what medications we could add to our “avoid” list. We did GeneSight and one other and both came back with zero issues on every medication, even that list of 5-6 that he had already had serious reactions to. These tests are great for those with genetic abnormalities that would make certain medications intolerable, but they are just one small piece of the puzzle.

With the Adderall now, you may need an increase in dosage again. The standard of care is to start at the lowest dose and only increase if and when necessary. Here’s a great webinar replay on getting ADHD medications right:

Free Webinar Replay: Medication Management: How to Use and Adjust Stimulants Safely

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Author & Mentor on Parenting ADHD, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.