Switching meds & how to know the right meds for you?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Treating Your ADHD Switching meds & how to know the right meds for you?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  jwilli 1 day, 14 hours ago.

• Author

rosalie
    Participant

Hello everyone!
    Currently on a moderate dose of adderall xr. I can’t seem to adjust, but I have no clue what medication to try now! What are your guys’ experiences with switching meds?
    I was initially willing to experiment and make myself the guinea pig, so I tried meds with/without caffeine, caffeine at different times of day, taking my meds in the afternoon vs morning, drinking tons of water and eating regularly, but alas. I can’t seem to make these work for me or adjust to the highs and lows I feel in my emotions and energy.
    Don’t get me wrong, starting on meds has changed my life and allowed me to experience a quiet, calm brain and realize that all the dysfunction and noise was not something I could fix by “trying harder”. Knowing this, it’s much easier to be kind to myself.
    So medication is the right choice, but I need to find the one that cooperates with me. I require most of my focus in the afternoon/evening, so I need something that will actually last all day.
    Have you guys experienced switching off Adderall onto Concerta or Vyvanse or a different stimulant? What was that like? Also how do you know/what does it feel like when you are on the right medication? I will talk to my dr of course, just want to be prepared for these next few months of trial and error.

Dr. Eric
    Participant

I don’t think that there is a substitute for systematic trial and error under the supervision of a quality medical provider giving you the time that you need.

Good luck!

Penny Williams
    Keymaster

There are two types of stimulants: amphetamine (Adderall, Vyvanse, Evekeo…) and methylphenidate (Ritalin, Concerta, Quillivant…). Almost everyone does well on one type or the other, but not both.This knowledge can help you in how you plan out your next trial.

A Patient’s Primer on the Stimulant Medications Used to Treat ADHD

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Linnea56
    Participant

I too had no luck with Adderall. When I reported back that it seemed to do nothing at all, she upped the dose. That gave me such a rapid heart rate that the anxiety over whether my chest was going to explode cancelled out any useful effect. I’m 63, so I can’t brush off such effects thinking they don’t mean anything.

I gave up on medications for over a year and just did Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. Helped maybe 10%.

I am starting on the other class of medications, the methylphenidates, tomorrow.

Rosalie, have you started on something different by now?

rosalie
    Participant

Hi Linnea56, thanks for asking! I have not started on a new stimulant. I stopped Adderall XR about a month ago because I started having some really disturbing symptoms: headaches, crazy mood swings, bad emotions, and strange OCDs that I hyperfocused on at the expense of productive things. I took one capsule once a day, just as prescribed. I’ve never experienced that before and it really scared me. Once the weird symptoms started it was a slow decrease in dysfunction and I did not feel or behave like myself at all!

Since being off the meds my headaches have gone away, I feel happier and mentally clearer, I’ve gotten my creativity back (which is a relief since I’m an artist), I’ve gained some colour back in my face, and the horrible acne the meds caused has cleared. I don’t think Adderall was for me! It worked great initially but made me quite ill in the long run. I hope there will be no long-term effects, and I’m not sure at this point if it’s worth trying another stimulant.

So now I’m trying to adjust to life without meds. I am in university with a full courseload plus working so it would be too much to adjust to anything new right now, and I’m a bit scared to try anything else after this experience honestly. I’m trying to embrace my ADD and look at the postivies but I might look into natural approaches to help manage my lack of motivation to do boring tasks. I know natural stuff is kind of hokey but I’m concerned after the way the Adderall made me feel. If I still feel like I need it, I will talk with my doctor about different medication.

ryan7979
    Participant

Rosalie , I took Adderall for a while and felt the same way. It was not for me. So my my doctor switched me to Concerta. I have had minimal side effects , I still eat and I don’t feel “speedy “ I feel more evened out. Hope this information Helps.

Ryan

jwilli
    Participant

Rosalie, I was prescribed Adderall XR 30 for several years, and it worked very well for my ADHD symptoms all day. The problem however, as I’ve now also discovered with other stimulants, was the (undisclosed) change in formulation! These changes drastically decreased the efficacy of the stimulant, and similar to what you described, brought on unwanted side-effects. So, I too quit taking Adderall XR, and stopped treatment altogether for quite awhile.

Since going back to school to finish my degree, my ADHD symptoms became so bothersome that my doctor suggested I try Vyvance. It is a different type of stimulant med. It’s active ingredient lisdexamfetamine dimesylate, is a prodrug that’s designed to turn into an amphetamine after it binds with lysine in your digestive tract. So, Vyvance doesn’t activate nearly as fast as Adderall, and there can be other issues as well. But you never know until you try something, and it doesn’t hurt to talk to your doc about it. This site is sponsored by Vyvance and maybe you could get a coupon off for trial. Best of luck to you!

• This reply was modified 1 day, 14 hours ago by  jwilli.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.