Help! Switching From Generic to Concerta

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Treating Your ADHD Help! Switching From Generic to Concerta

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  edceballos 1 month, 1 week ago.

• Author

kyliez
    Participant

Hi All,

My pharmacy recently ran out of the usual generic brand of Concerta (Tev Methylphenid HCL ER) that I take (2 36mg tablets per day) and subsitited it for name-brand Concerta (same dose). Ever since they switched me I haven’t been able to be productive and now I am falling behind in college. Has anyone else experienced this, switching from off-brand to name brand? I haven’t been able to eat, I can’t get focused, I have increased anxiety, and feel really foggy. I have also thrown up two times in the two weeks after ingesting the name brand Concerta, which never happened to me when I took the off-brand. I am so cloudy and underproductive, I just can’t figure out why.. help 🙁

Thanks,

Kylie

• This topic was modified 6 months, 1 week ago by  kyliez.

Fluttermind
    Participant

What did your generic pills look like? Did they say “alza” on them?

kyliez
      Participant

My generic pills were long ovals and had a “36” stamped on them.
      The concerta pills I got as a substitute say “alza”

Fluttermind
    Participant

Ahhh I have a theory…

Try taking ONE of the brand-name pills instead of two and see how you feel.

Why? Because the generic you had before was one of the garbage ones (the “alza” pills are the only ones with the proper release mechanism). And because it was a bad one, you probably weren’t getting enough methylphenidate, hence taking the max 72mg. Now that you have the real deal, you are actually getting the full amount of drug releasing when it’s supposed to, which could be why you feel terrible.

When I was trying to find the right dose of Concerta, I tried 54mg and it was AWFUL – I was agitated, anxious, had insomnia, didn’t feel like I was focusing all that well (because I was feeling terrible and not sleeping). Went back to 36mg, where I remain. And then one month, the pharmacy didn’t have the good alza pills, so I got some random generic and it was like I was taking sugar pills.

So yeah, can’t hurt to try just the one pill.

kyliez
      Participant

Wow this is a great thought… I am going to try this. Thank you so much for the suggestion!

edceballos
      Participant

What are the generic brands you experienced as the “most effective” ones?
      I am curious about the “alza” comment…this is for a 9 yo kid…

GinaPera
    Participant

HI Folks,

This is a complex issue. It’s important to get the clear facts.

I’ve created an authoritative post:

Authorized Generic Concerta Update: 6/1/19

This is only my latest post in years of covering the ongoing generic Concerta issues.

Gina Pera

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.