Switching from Adderall to Dexedrine?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Treating Your ADHD Switching from Adderall to Dexedrine?

This topic contains 10 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Mimsi75 1 week, 6 days ago.

• Author

The Cat Lady
    Participant

Has anyone switched from Adderall to Dexedrine? I’m considering talking to my Dr. about this; I’ve found that Adderall XR just makes me feel super crappy physically. Achy, tense, light headed, get winded super easily. I do yoga, take my vitamins, all that jazz. I’m not doing that great on the XR in general anyway. Can someone give me an idea of the starting dosage of Dexedrine, and how it compares to 20mg of Adderall XR? Does it feel significantly lower, or has anyone felt much better even on a low dose of Dexedrine? Thank you in advance.

bearo
    Participant

Yes I have been on most of the stimulant meds. I can tell you for a fact that Dexedrine has much less body load and more mental stimulation. Don’t get me wrong, speed is speed but d-amphetamine (only chemical in Dexedrine)is much cleaner and L-amphetamine (which adderall is 50% of) is basically garbage. Max daily dose of Dexedrine is 40mg compared to 60mg adderall because Dexedrine is stronger than adderall. Probably start around 5mg 2x day.

I switched several years ago. Dexedrine is better. 75% of your Adderall dose would be roughly your Dexedrine dose. I take the Dexedrine IR now, but the only bad generic ER Dexedrine I remember off hand being really bad was made by Mayne. I think you will find Dexedrine very helpful. Both adderall and Dexedrine helped me, but the way I describe the difference between Adderall and Dexedrine is that with Adderall it felt like I took something. With Dexedrine, it just works, but I don’t ‘feel’ different. If that makes since.

If you do try the Dexedrine IR, be warned, the Aurobindo generic is horrible, you will have the worst anxiety of your life and feel sick as a dog. Personally, within hours of taking the Aurobindo my skin breaks out with huge welts, it’s bad! Any other generic, I’m fine, I take 6 off them everyday.

Penny Williams
    Keymaster

You can’t compare doses of different stimulants. They are different medications so you have to start at the lowest dose and titrate to find the right dose for you. It’s different for everyone.

A Patient’s Primer on the Stimulant Medications Used to Treat ADHD

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Coach & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

The Cat Lady
    Participant

Ah thank you so much, everyone! Your responses were very helpful. Now if only I could get my doctor to be more receptive to what I have to say. I feel like I should be able to be more in control of *my* medications and dosage, but I’m not. It’s extremely frustrating, and I feel helpless. What do I do when my doctor refuses to listen to me? The last time I saw her, I emailed her “11 STEPS TO PRESCRIBING AND USING ADHD MEDICATION EFFECTIVELY”, I brought in the Weiss Impairment scale, two symptom checklists, and it’s like she didn’t even read any of it. “I really do think the medication is working” she says, as I am uncontrollably sobbing in her office, trying to convince her that my current meds are at an insufficient dose, and my life is unmanageable. I don’t know how to make her “hear* me.

The Cat Lady
    Participant

<<UPDATE>>

Looks like she finally got me. I’m so grateful. I started taking Dexedrine today, the Adderall IR I’ve been taking makes me feel like I have the body of a 80 year old. Very weak, fatigued, super achy, debilitating headaches and muscle spasms. So far so good, mentally – it’s astonishing that I don’t “feel” it, it’s like I’m not taking anything at all. I still feel like my body is sore and beat up, but hopefully I can yoga that shit away and be feeling better in a few days. Thank you *so much* everyone, for taking the time to provide feedback. Could anyone be able to tell me how much Adderall you were taking prior to switching, and how much Dexedrine you have found yourself comfortable taking? I don’t have the slightest idea what to expect in terms of dosage. Many thanks 🙂 it’s such an overwhelming relief knowing that I can count on having support here, and that there really are people just like me.

Glad to hear that you are doing well on the new meds! Everyone is different of course, but for me I take 3 doses a day. 7AM, 11AM, and 3PM. With Adderall each dose is 30MG, with Dexedrine each dose is 20MG.

Mimsi75
      Participant

Trying for any answers, been on Ritalin, Vyvanse, Adderall XR, now Adderall IR, worked good for maybe a year, even switched drugstores for Teva brand.
      Is tere any non generic fast acting, not extended release , NOT a generic, I’d be willing to pay full price. Feel awful…even my loved ones are noticing. Live in Mass, not sure wat can be prescirbed to me…… willng to try dexedrine,

Mimsi75
      Participant

excuse my vocabulary, cannot focus. TY

The Cat Lady
      Participant

Are you on Adderall IR alone? How exactly have you been feeling – sad, anxious, …? It may behoove you to try Dexedrine. It’s a single-salt medication. Adderall is mixed-salts, it’s comprised of 4 different types. One of those types may be the culprit behind your struggles, but of course I can’t say for sure.

Mimsi75
      Participant

TY, I am trying to speak w-my dr about it. I agree, Adderall IR worked better for me for about 2 years, now I feel awful mentally & pysically. Sick of sweats, muscle cramps & my depression is back completely. I am antdepressant resistant. I was propabaly on every form of antidepressant at some point. Ritalin & Vynanse worked for maybe a week, Adderall XR didnt work, IR Was a miracle for quite some time…..I am just so frustrated of my dr not listening to me. ” You’re fine, let’s add …or up your dose. Take 30 mg in a.m & used to take around 1:00 p.m, now I take about 10:00 as it wasnt motivating me till late at night, my loved ones are noticing my lack of focus, I left my car door open all day long yesterday….It’s benefecial t-my loved ones notice it, so I know I am not imagining it. Ive always been a reader, I can’t even read our local paper. TY SO!!! I’m beyond grateful I found t-site…….

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.