Switched from Dexedrine ER to Adderall XR

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Switched from Dexedrine ER to Adderall XR

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      jgulia
      Participant

I’m 42 years old (female) and have been taking Dexedrine ER 40mg daily since I was 17 years old with no problems. A few weeks ago my insurance notified me that Dexedrine ER would no longer be on their preferred drug list and gave me a list of alternatives that would be on their list. I tried Vyvance 40mg first and it didn’t help like I’d hoped. It was more physical than mental like I need. I’m currently trying Adderall XR 40mg daily and it kind of works, but isn’t working nearly as well. Not sure if this makes sense, but it makes me feel medicated. I’m not sure if I should try a higher dose or go back to Dexedrine ER. With Dexedrine I’d take it when I woke up and couldn’t really tell when it started working. I’d just be able to function and not be completely overwhelmed by mundane tasks. It never made me feel medicated like Adderall XR currently does. I’d never drive without Dexedrine and I’d be afraid to drive with Adderall. It’s only my second day taking it, so could my body need more time to adjust? I never would have switched if it wasn’t for the insurance issue, so I’m just not sure how to handle this. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

All ADHD medications new to you should be started at the lowest dose and titrated based on your response to it. The doses between different medications are NOT equivalent. 40 mg of Adderall may be too much for you and that’s why you feel “medicated.” In the end, if Dexedrine is best, ask your doctor to appeal to your insurance company saying that Dexedrine is medically necessary for you.

A Patient’s Primer on the Stimulant Medications Used to Treat ADHD

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Coach, Podcaster & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.